Clip End kills Kontakt Playback

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The_Subject

Clip End kills Kontakt Playback

Post by The_Subject » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Hello everyone, wondering if I can get some input on a problem I can't get my head around.

The issue is a MIDI clip with a note in it but no VST (output to kontakt 5) is triggered to make a one-shot snare sound (Called Snare Hit). Simultaneously another more or less identical MIDI clip (called Snare Pulse) with an arpeggiator on it going (via a third track called Snare gate, that has an envelope but no notes in it) to the same Kontakt is triggered.

However, when 'Snare Hit' clip ends, its volume meter fluctuates again (with no sound coming out) but this fluctuation kills the arppegiation coming out of kontakt. The meters on Snare Pulse and Gate are still going as though my snare is still blasting away....

So, why is a midi clip in snare gate triggering two incidents - one when its triggered with sound coming out of kontakt, and one when it ends without sound but it registers as something that then kills the other channel
I've tried tweaking its envelope, its volume, its length, anything I can think of, but nothing solves the issue, just changes when it happens!

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!!

The_Subject

Re: Clip End kills Kontakt Playback

Post by The_Subject » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:42 pm

Okay I'll rephrase:

What possible causes could there be for a single note in a single clip, set to launch by Trigger and repeat turned off, to make the meter peak twice?

Once at launch, fine.

Can anyone suggest a possible reason for it to pick up a signal a second time after launch?

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:17 pm

Thank you for getting back to me!

No follow actions. It's a standalone track, the routing is all ins, all channels, monitor off, output to another track but the issue is within the single track.

Program changes? Not entirely sure what you mean here, can you elaborate please?

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:31 pm

I'll investigate the program changes, but I've never knowingly used them.

I suspect it's not Kontakt exactly, as Kontakt is in a separate channel and I can see the meter in this channel going off, which triggers a problem in Kontakt. Whilst yes, inside kontakt I might be able to make a work around, I'd rather learn whats causing the issue in the first place!

Thanks for all you're help, I'll look into both those options though and come back if I need any more suggestions

Thank you

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:24 pm

Do you understand how MIDI notes work? Like how note on and off work?

If your "Snare Hit" sends a note off, then it should end the same note on "Snare Pulse" (since Snare Hit is routed into Snare Pulse).
♥♥♥

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:53 am

pottering wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:24 pm
Do you understand how MIDI notes work? Like how note on and off work?

If your "Snare Hit" sends a note off, then it should end the same note on "Snare Pulse" (since Snare Hit is routed into Snare Pulse).
Please explain how note on and off work then?

Although if you reread my original problem, you may note that "Snare Hit" is not in fact routed through "Snare Pulse" but rather running alongside. They only meet in Kontakt.

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:15 pm

A MIDI note is not continuous, it is a MIDI note on message at the beginning to start the note and a note off message later to stop the note.

If you send a shorter D1 note into another track that is already playing a long D1 note (like a long note driving an arpeggiator), then the shorter D1 note`s note off message will end the long D1 note.
♥♥♥