Can I Use Midi Keyboard to Input Step Sequencer Notes?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
penguinpajamas

Can I Use Midi Keyboard to Input Step Sequencer Notes?

Post by penguinpajamas » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Hey everyone! Just received a Push 2 and I'm really liking it so far.

There's a way in which I'm trying to use the melodic step sequencer, and it doesn't seem to be working, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried something similar.

I personally still prefer using a standard MIDI keyboard to Push's note mode, but I still really like the sequencer. If possible, I'd love to sequence notes using my MIDI keyboard in the same way that push uses the note keys. Ideally, I'd love to play a chord or a note on the piano, hit a step, and see those notes mapped out for that step, in the same manner that Push works with the note keys. I can see the MIDI keyboard lighting up the note pads when I play, but this information doesn't seem to make it's way to the sequencer. Instead, I have to play notes, see which pads light up, and then sequence those pads normally.

Is there any way that I can change this behavior so I can sequence notes directly from my keyboard?

Thanks!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Can I Use Midi Keyboard to Input Step Sequencer Notes?

Post by [jur] » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:47 pm

You can hold a note and then press shift+right keys on your computer keyboard to input it.
Sure it would be cool to do it the way you’ve described...
Ableton Forum Moderator

Chrizmo

Post by Chrizmo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:16 pm

I just want to say I am looking for that functionality as well. It would make the workflow much more faster. I love to use the step sequencer for rhythmic figures but it´s kind of a pain to get chords inside. In combination with my midi keyboard it would be much easier.
And as said, Push is showing the chords but they don´t find their way into the clip.
I assume this feature is not a big deal to implement for the developers. I would love to see it in one of the next updates!? Maybe if more than two people show their interest, there is a chance to see it someday.

Chrizmo

Post by Chrizmo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:21 pm

Mhhmm...
I was thinking of a step sequencer workflow, like it´s done when drums are edited. Of course you can record them playing them in with the right timing. But the other way is to select one drum sound on the pad and then set the notes where ever you like using the step sequencer.
Same with the sequencer + 32 notes, you hit the notes you want to place on the lower 32 pads and then place them somewhere in your clip using the upper 32 pads and the Page-buttons. You can use the lower 32 pad to even grip a chord and place it, right? You can erase a chord when you hit the corresponding pad again.
What I suggest (and how I penguinpajamas understood) is: Make it possible to use the lower 32pads and/or my midi-keyboard be able to grip the chord I would like to place in the step sequencer.
Maybe I messed something up but although the lower 32pads are illuminated green when I hit a chord on my keyboard, the step sequencer will place the last notes that i pressed on the push, not the ones I actually press on my keys.

I hope this makes sense now.

edsko

Post by edsko » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:24 am

Another vote for this feature! Currently in the melodic sequencer, we can edit the notes at a particular position by holding the pad for that position and then tapping in the bottom 4 rows to change the notes; but holding the pad for the position and then pressing keys on the MIDI keyboard does nothing. This might be an easy way to combine the two?

kamindustries

Post by kamindustries » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:25 am

I created an account just to vote on this feature. Would love to be able to hold on a step and input notes with a MIDI keyboard.

I believe some Elektron sequencers can do this.

malrus

Post by malrus » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:50 am

This feature missing really is a shame - I would love to use the push as my main sequencer, but not being able to enter the note pitch via a midi keyboard but only via the pads makes the whole sequencer quite unplayable for a classical trained musician like myself. I‘ve somehow been turning to elektron sequencers becuase of that, but working in other quantisations (triplets for example) is far more comfortable on the push.
Please add that tiny little feature with such a great impact!