Launching clips - arranging live set basics

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
squuesh

Launching clips - arranging live set basics

Post by squuesh » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:33 am

Hi everyone,

I'm still learning so apologies if this is a really basic question but any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to find the best way to organise a live set being played as backing track for a group. I need the flexibility to be able to launch clips without the fear of other clips launching. Although I hit stop sometimes other clips in the same scene automatically launch during the wrong song. What is the best way to prevent this? Is there a setting I should use or is it best just to organise clips for different songs in different scenes?

The different songs also have been arranged by someone else and often have different tempos. I've been turning warp off when importing clips to my set and then grouping them. Is this the best way to ensure they have the right tempo and that the clips for that song all play in time with each other?

If anyone has any other advice for settings or shortcuts for this kind of set please do let me know.

Thank you!!

chrk

Re: Launching clips - arranging live set basics

Post by chrk » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:50 am

squuesh wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:33 am
or is it best just to organise clips for different songs in different scenes?
Definitely.
You should even experiment with breaking down songs into scenes per sections. Empty scenes between songs group them, and if you want, say, a variation on the bassline, delete the stop clip buttons on the other slots of that scene.

Different tempo and time signature can be coded into scene names, Live switches on scene start.

Read the whole chapter: 7. Session View

squuesh

Post by squuesh » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:28 pm

Thank you so much!

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:09 pm

If you renames the master channel's scenes from 1, 2 etc to "130bpm" or any number with bpm, it'll convert the tracks tempo if triggered via the master. Saves you warping which in my experience is ALWAYS a bitch compared to what you'd like it to be.

Might help you.

Also, blank clips with follow actions for gaps can be useful sometimes.

squuesh

Post by squuesh » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:37 am

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice!!