PayPal Question for buying used Ableton License

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
legge

PayPal Question for buying used Ableton License

Post by legge » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:57 pm

Hello all,

I have been monitoring the For Sale forum and I'm interested in purchasing a used license. It seems PayPal is the most reliable/common method for transferring funds. I am based in Canada, so it is likely I will be purchasing from someone in US or Europe (CAD to USD/EUR).

When sending money via PayPal, is it best to use the "Paying for an Item/Service" option which includes purchase protection? Or the "Sending to a friend" option?

Asking those who have been through the process before. Appreciate any insight/tips.

Thanks

chrk

Re: PayPal Question for buying used Ableton License

Post by chrk » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Haven't been through the process, but ask yourself: "Am I sending money to a friend, or am I buying an Item from a stranger?"

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:31 pm

Never use the gift option when buying products.

Here are tips from another buy/sell forum:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&t=295450
Choose a payment option wisely!

If you use Paypal's usual payment method you have some protection against fraudulent sellers.

But if you use Paypal's "gift" option for any transaction that is not actually a gift, you are voluntarily giving up any protection Paypal might have provided. You're also entering into a legal agreement stating that the money is not being provided in payment for goods or services. If that's not true, then you are scamming Paypal. You might be turning a "gift" (nudge, wink) into an actual GIFT -- meaning the seller might say you're not legally entitled to receive anything in return. The money was a gift, after all. You said so in a legal agreement when you sent it.

Don't use Paypal "gifts" unless you're really making a gift.
♥♥♥

BURN-ADDiCT

Post by BURN-ADDiCT » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:03 am

I recently got scammed by someone telling me that I HAVE TO use the gift option...... and poof, $175 down the drain.

I swear there's no real reason to avoid paying those fees to secure your sale. Don't fall for it like me.