alias clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:39 am

The "copy value to siblings" feature found when right-clicking the parameters of a Simpler (eg, when inside a Drum Rack) would be useful in many places

... especially this one!

+1

this could also be useful for working between session and arrange

(fwiw - if this gets implemented, then it'd be good practise to re-colour or rename the clip first, then copy the colour parameter to sibling clips... that way you would be able to double check what clips will be affected)

mortenperriard

Post by mortenperriard » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:22 pm

+1

Maybe we'll get ghost clips in Live 8? :)

dreadrocksean

Re: alias clips

Post by dreadrocksean » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:51 pm

Definitely. I came here looking for a solution actually. Logic and Cubase have it. I'm extremely surprised that Ableton does not.

My case:
I have a Looper on a track available to be used anytime I feel in a song (group of session rows). I have a track dedicated to clips which erase any loop still lingering in the Looper. I simply insert them at the beginning of every song (1st session row in each group). I've added another Looper track for my drummer to also be able to independently loop his drums in sync with the Ableton backing tracks. So now I have to look for every instance of the 'looper erase' clip in the entire project (ALL our songs) and add in the corresponding midi note that erases the drum Looper's lingering loops.

Needless in a piece of software this powerful. It's definitely an oversight on the part of the developers.

So here's my vote.
+1

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:18 pm

It's only been 15 years since this was requested so I assume it's top of Ableton's to-do list.

Sarcasm aside, honestly this would be an absolute killer feature for electronic genre producers. I would add a couple more ideas to this FR:
  • A context menu command to 'Select all instances' for aliased lips (if the clip is unique i.e. no other instances then the menu item is greyed Hold).
  • A context menu command to 'Make unique' for existing aliased clips (again, if the clip already is unique, the command is greyed out).
  • By default do regular copy/paste/duplicate i.e. non-aliased. To do aliased copy/paste/duplicate, hold down a certain modifier key.
Peace

coolfoam

Post by coolfoam » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:19 pm

I am absolutely desperate for this feature.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:30 am

coolfoam wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:19 pm
I think Bitwig will be first to this party

marcora

Post by marcora » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:56 pm

+1000!!! What about also having an Arranger Track/Blocks system as in Studio One and Reason, so that songs could be arranged by adding/moving/deleting Scenes in Arrangement View that are linked to the Session View (similar to NI Maschine for example) and additional arrangement tracks can be added for transitions, fx, and other elements not in Session View. When a clip is changed in a Scene in Session View then that clip also changes whenever that Scene is used in Arrangement View! Super fast workflow

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:23 pm

antic604 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:31 pm
Scoox wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:30 am
coolfoam wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:19 pm
I think Bitwig will be first to this party
I got both. I'll sell the one that's 2nd to introduce the feature ;) :D
I got neither (yet). Just curious, which one would you rather sell? :D

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:24 pm

(double post)

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:44 am

I've posted a new FR for this here: Linked/alias clips finally coming to Live! It includes a poll and GUI mock-ups of what I think is a sensible implementation of this feature, please check it out and comment.

eclipxe

Post by eclipxe » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:40 am

I've implemented this in a M4L device. See more details on the thread linked above.