Upgrade Piano Roll to match FL's for a better User Experience

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ohryan

Re: Upgrade Piano Roll to match FL's for a better User Experience

Post by ohryan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:58 pm

some features I'd personally like to see:

The 'Play Selected' feature to easily preview all notes in a vertical line on your cursor. This seems so handy for hearing whole chords or even making rhythms by clicking around on the piano roll. Currently you have to drag your cursor over notes and it plays them whenever the drag box hits them so it's not nearly as consistent or useful.

Stamp: adding predefined chords selected from a menu. This would be SO nice for getting quick ideas out there. Also stamping scales would be awesome.

Chop: the ability to easily turn your chords into divisional patterns. Think of how much this would simplify turning chords into plucks or vice versa.

Glide: easy glide notes in the piano roll. how frcking sweat would this be.

Ok, honestly, all the tools from the FL Piano Roll are so cool and it would be incredible if we can have some of these. Not so one can say, Ableton is better or equal than XXX, but just so Ableton can offer its users really cool features.

Thank you again.

LykosMusic

Post by LykosMusic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:48 pm

Switched from Fl to Ableton and Ableton is much better. However, the piano roll really bothers me.
Main Improvements I'd love to see:

- Left clicking a note will make ableton remember its length and apply it the next time i create a note
- Slide Notes

What incredibly annoys me is the fact that when I increase the size of the piano roll by drawing the window upwards, the size of every other piano roll / clip view is also increased. I don't want a huge clip view of my samples just because I want a better view of the piano roll. In this regard, I'd love to see a customizable option where you can decide whether different tracks are independent of each other or not. (Maybe even with a shortcut)

alchemist2000

Post by alchemist2000 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:13 am

Upvote! this is a dearly needed upgrade

nexd

Post by nexd » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:54 am

+1 Would love these features in the Ableton piano roll.

Humblebee

Post by Humblebee » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:19 am

Great idea! I'd love to have the glide/slide midi-tool that FL got. That is amazing. But yeah, improvements to the current piano roll is needed!

hgmtt

Post by hgmtt » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:25 pm

Ableton would do well to swallow its pride with this one and just outright copy the FL approach to the piano roll.

Tearz

Post by Tearz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:35 pm

I'm the OP of that thread, the reason I was asking as I own both FL Signature Bundle and Live 10 Suite... I still prefer FL due to the piano roll mainly... however, I wanted to see what brought people back and fourth between the two so I can make a decision as I like both so far, but the piano roll in FL is sooooo damn quick and easy that it causes me to stay.

kojikobura

Post by kojikobura » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:13 pm

I switched from FL Studio looking for a better workflow but I really miss the FL Studio Piano Roll Editing Tools. Split Note Tool, PLEEEEEASE!

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:39 am

I like Live’s piano roll simple like it is. It could use a couple small improvements like splitting notes, or applying grooves only on selected notes. But it’s perfectly viable as is and some of the comments here show that not enough time has been spent exploring its existing features and methods.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:41 am

BTW. There’s a request in for CTRL+E, Live’s standard split command to be applied to the piano roll.

Lokan

Post by Lokan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:30 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:39 am
I like Live’s piano roll simple like it is. It could use a couple small improvements like splitting notes, or applying grooves only on selected notes. But it’s perfectly viable as is and some of the comments here show that not enough time has been spent exploring its existing features and methods.
Have you tried FL Studio's piano roll? Compared to FL, Ableton's piano roll has almost zero features.
If you haven't I recommend you trying it. Except that FL only has relative snapping, you're gonna be amazed how easy and quick it is.

cmkadmin

Post by cmkadmin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:37 am

Yes, FL's piano roll blows away all other DAWs on the market (it's why I have it). But I would be satisfied with just being able to split the notes a-la CTRL-E. That would be significant.

Would also like the option of a flat symbol (from what I understand it was present in a single beta at one point and then removed)

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:53 pm

I hadn't used it in a while, but I just fired FL up to see if I'd missed things. I guess for users that like to paint things in, there are some handy features, but they're just so much wasted space for me. I know how to enter chords and scales on my own, so FL's MIDI editor doesn't blow others away in my mind.

Also, one of the things I love about Live is that it's contextual, not modal. Except for draw mode there really are no tools per se, you just select notes/clips/etc. and operate on them.

Bottom line, I think there's room for improvement in Live's MIDI editor (more operations), but not to match FL's with its tools and modal operation.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:33 pm

Having used both FL Studio (a long time ago) and Live, I agree that the piano roll is way better in FLS.

As long as we're asking Ableton to swipe features from Image Line, please go ahead and copy the Swing slider too... it's pretty great

¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:41 pm

It did occur to me, that since they already have a tool (the pencil for drawing), they could add others in a drop down for that icon without straying too far from the status quo or cluttering up things much at all.

I’ve always wondered why the draw tool wouldn’t create clips. That was the first thing I tried with it .