Record Ableton output for podcast

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Warmonger

Record Ableton output for podcast

Post by Warmonger » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:36 am

Alright, I decided to start a Youtube channel.

I currently use NI Komplete Kontrol 6 (ASIO) and Ableton Live 10. I would like to be able to record Ableton output into audio / video capture software (currently VSDC Video Capture).

The problem, so far, seems that the audio from Live routed to Komplete Audio output is not visible in a system aymore and I can't capture it. Is there a way to record the output from Ableton or my interface?

(There must be a way, since I'm not the only person in the world recording Ableton for Youtube...)

miyaru

Re: Record Ableton output for podcast

Post by miyaru » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:40 am

Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:56 pm

^ That may be an option.

If you use ASIO drivers then that will bypass your screen recording software to maintain a low latency. You could try and switch the Live driver to WDM/Direct and see if that works. May cause the audio to break up tho or a larger lag.

Another option might be to use an external mixer, run the audio and your mic into the mixer then run that back to the input of the audio interface and set that as the record source. Just don't live monitor the input or it will create feedback. That would allow you the ability to adjust your mic too... unless you have a USB mic.

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Another option might be to use an external mixer, run the audio and your mic into the mixer then run that back to the input of the audio interface and set that as the record source.
Almost, but the recording software threats mic inputs 1 and 2 as a single stereo channel... so I can't select only input 2 for loopback while the original mic is plugged into input 1 :? I can record only both at once.
You could try and switch the Live driver to WDM/Direct and see if that works.
How do I do that? Don't see such option in Live.

In the meantime installed ASIO4All, but it's only partially useful. In particular I cannot configure all my inputs and outputs with it, only one pair at a time

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:37 pm

Warmonger wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:12 pm
Another option might be to use an external mixer, run the audio and your mic into the mixer then run that back to the input of the audio interface and set that as the record source.
Almost, but the recording software threats mic inputs 1 and 2 as a single stereo channel... so I can't select only input 2 for loopback while the original mic is plugged into input 1 :? I can record only both at once.
This is what an external mixer is for. Not that i'm suggestion to go out and get one but for these use cases it makes things much easier, but you need one that has some decent routing options. The one I use is a Mackie 1402 VLZ. What is possible is to feed the output of the PC audio into it and press a button that sends the audio back into the computer via a set of inputs. If I need mics mixed in all I need to do is press the button on the mixer for the mic channels too and they rout into the PC along with the DAWs audio.

This allows you to do all your mixing and routing externally which makes it far easier to start recording and setting things up without the need to muck around with switching drivers and doing software routing. If it's something you want to do a lot of, it's worth looking into some capable mixers but do your research because you need something that has routable busses.

Can't really help you with the ASIO4All side as it's been well over a decade since I used it.

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:30 am

Can't really help you with the ASIO4All side as it's been well over a decade since I used it.
Yep. I was able to 'almost' configure something that I want using Asio4all and virtual cable: https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

However, none of recording apps accepts that as a valid input - one crashes immediately, the other seemingly records at 384 kbps (?). And I don't have control over all the parameters I'd like to change. Even if it somewhat worked, auditioning results requires different config again.

It seems I'll need this mixer eventually, at least something that works out of the box :/
The one I use is a Mackie 1402 VLZ. What is possible is to feed the output of the PC audio into it and press a button that sends the audio back into the computer via a set of inputs.
Can you show me how's that configured on a PC side? Do we get some control panel, more inuts and outputs, something else...?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:19 am

Warmonger wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:30 am
Can you show me how's that configured on a PC side? Do we get some control panel, more inuts and outputs, something else...?
No not at all. It's a little more old school than that.

You don't "need" a mixer, you can do it virtually or with a decent audio interface you sometimes have virtual patch panels that can rout an output direct to an input in the interface control panel. I have always liked to do it externally with physical faders and channels. It just becomes less complicated when you can glance and see things.

- The Interface I have is a Roland Octacapture which I have output 1+2 (main) going to a stereo channel on the mixer.
- A microphone goes to another channel
- There is a special "bus feature" on this mixer when you press a channel MUTE button it directs the channels audio out an "Aux Bus" output which is fed to inputs on the interface.
- When I mute a channel on the mixer it now sends the sound to the computer and not to the main output so it can be captured
- To also monitor the sound via the mixer there is an "Aux Monitor" button that sends the signal to a sub fader to mix with the master channel.

Hopefully not too confusing. The tldr of it is everything feeds into channels on this mixer then at the press of a button the signal goes back into the computer to record so multiple things can be mixed externally.

It's just the way I have always done it since years ago I did not have many ins and outs so had to mix things externally and have just prefered working that way.

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Hmm, let's think about possible setup:

1. Condenser mic goes into line in of KompleteAudio 6
  2. Channel 1 of KA6 goes into Ableton for processing
  3. It is then routed to output 1 of KA6
  4. This output goes to Mackie chanel 3/4, which is mixed with all
  5. However, Mackie allows to mute 3/4 channel for headphones, which means I won't be hearing my own voice inside my head :wink:
  6. Meanwhile, full Ableton mix I'd like to showcase is routed to outputs 3/4 in KA6
  7. These outputs are connected to Mackie line in 5/6
  8. Full mix of Ableton + voice is available in monitors (main out) and Alt Out
  9. Alt out is routed to KA6 inputs 3/4 - these inputs are ready to record by any app (already tested)
With this config, I could also turn the mic off easily and plug a mono synth directly in KA6 input 2. Other gear I own (such as DJ console) will still go through Mackie to inputs 3/4 in KA6, so I can always record them without unplugging cables.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:41 pm

Yep, that offers the same features the 1402 does, just less channels and pots instead of faders.

You could simply connect your mic to channel 1 on the mixer instead of your interface and then when you want to record it, along with any other channels, you just mute the channel which then sends the signal out the ALT outputs and into your audio interface inputs.

If you want to then monitor the channels, the alt signal can be monitored using the "Control Room Source" section where you can monitor to headphones or press the "Assign to Main Mix" to mix it on the outputs or disable the Aux 3/4 monitoring and instead, select exactly what channels to monitor using the Pre Listen (solo) buttons.

Make sure your monitors now connect to the main outs on the mixer which is now the main out of everything and allows quick and easy volume control of the monitors too so lots of benefits.

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 pm

You could simply connect your mic to channel 1 on the mixer instead of your interface and then when you want to record i
It's important to me to have extra processing for mic, especially to remove noise. So I run it straight into Ableton.

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:59 am

Can you record all the audio in Live, export that then import the audio file into the video software and time-align and edit everything in the video software?

Or record the video then import it into Live and time-align and edit the video and audio in Live?

Another, and possibly the simplest, way is to set up a loop-back in the audio interface so that audio leaves Live then goes straight back into the computer to the virtual inputs of the video software. It depends on your interface’s abilities, but most have a way to set up a loop-back audio routing as I describe. Or if necessary connect a pair of interface outputs to a pair of inputs and set up a loop that way. You may or may not be able to use ASIO drivers for Live to do this so you may need to use the standard Windows drivers for it.

Incidentally, if you have manufacturer-provided ASIO drivers for your interface I recommend using them, not ASIO4ALL. ASIO4ALL is intended to emulate an ASIO driver for sound chips that don’t have one otherwise.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:43 am

Can you record all the audio in Live, export that then import the audio file into the video software and time-align and edit everything in the video software?
Yes.
No time for that, though. Life is short. I already quit recording DJ sets for same reason. :(
Another, and possibly the simplest, way is to set up a loop-back in the audio interface so that audio leaves Live then goes straight back into the computer to the virtual inputs of the video software
Not on Windows - there is no standarized way to handle audio routing. I tried some free, legacy virtual cables, but they didn't quite cut it. Either way, first free recording software didn't work with any inputs, virtual or not. Luckily Filmora Scrn at least works wth Komplete Audio inputs.

Anyway - thank you. I will have to get that mixer, though it's not a cheap investment :/

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Maddening isn’t it.

I get where you’re coming from, but actually the only way I found was to buy and interface with ‘Loopback’ capability.

I bought a ‘Yamaha AG06’ but more are coming on the market that have this facility such as the just released MOTU M2 and M4 interfaces.

If the process of recording and podcasting video can be separated from your normal gear,ad you have a couple, of quid spare. then my suggestion is probably to buy one of these which should then work with any good or even free video capture software.

The laugh of it, is since getting the set up sorted, I haven’t been inspired to make a tut or video for YouTube. Go figure :roll:

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Okay. I bought the mixer and connected as explained. Now I can record the sum yet mute the voice in my headphones.

Success!

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:49 pm

That’s great, I’m pleased that helped.

I will check in on your links and hope sometime soon I see and hear what you’re up to. 👍🎬