Noob Question- Decay

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zelda123

Noob Question- Decay

Post by Zelda123 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:11 am

Hey,

I'm using the following as a learning tool- https://www.attackmagazine.com/techniqu ... no-rumble/

In step 1 it mentions 'compressed 909 type kick with a prominent pitch envelope'. Could someone please explain to me what a prominent pitch envelope is?

I'm also adjusting the decay button however when changing this it doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on the sound. Why?

Sorry for beginner noob questions,Thanks!

Zelda123

Re: Noob Question- Decay

Post by Zelda123 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Ok thanks mate!

TLW

Re: Noob Question- Decay

Post by TLW » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:18 pm

In the case of the 909 - and lots of kick and tom drum synths - part of the characteristic of the sound is that the pitch changes over time. Usually by starting higher then descending.

The amount of pitch change and how long it takes is the “pitch envelope”. Snares might have a “noise envelope” which controls how much noise is added to the basic sound and when. On the synth the word “envelope” probably won’t be used, something like “bump”, “pitch” or “boom” is more likely. The original idea back when drum synths were invented was to try to emulate an acoustic bass drum, which often has a higher-pitched initial transient that is very quickly overpowered by the lower dominant frequency of the drum. Acoustic bass drum pedals also cause a “click”, often around 2-3KHz, which some drums synths, such as Vermonas’, also try to emulate.

Samplers and better equipped synths than the 808 and 909 generation allow quite extreme pitch bends and pitch-shifts to be automatically applied to sounds - to the point a kick drum might be used as a bass line.

When tuning drum synths to match a track it usually requires both the basic pitch of some drums and any pitch change while the sound is playing adjusting.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.