MIDI ROUTING - multiple signal distribution

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Byxx

MIDI ROUTING - multiple signal distribution

Post by Byxx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Dear Forum,

In a nutshell:

how to...
a) send MIDI Signals from one source track to several tracks?

AND/OR

b) receive MIDI signals on one track from multiple sources

The clue here is the combination of independent midi signals to be distributed freely and around a multitrack project.
It targets the building of an input output matrix of the tracks involved. This is how I could describe it best.

I wrote a bit in M4L (sends and receive) but rather would like to try without MAX at the moment as it seems not intended to be recognized in rewire mode, unfortunately. I figured that out lately after some night´s programming. I took it for granted beng a beginner.

Musical applications of course still do not replace individual creativity, which is good. However, a destined workaround would add some chance to develop my ideas. If you´d be so kind giving me a little advice here using the MIDI distribution capabilities in a sophisticated manner, I would appreciate it.

THX for your help here!
BX

PS Combining DAWs appears to be a special task as self acclaimed "major" DAWs only behave a masters, keeping a kinf of "standing" up. I dont know, seems complicated. Steinberg´s Cubase would help to run M4L being a slave and such
Last edited by Byxx on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALS 10 on WIN10

timday

Re: MIDI ROUTING - multiple signal distribution

Post by timday » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:02 pm

Assuming you are talking about internal sources the first one is easy enough using track I/O - if you want to distribute one MIDI signal (say on track A) to two (or more )other tracks (call them track B and C)

The on track B and C set the MIDI in to track A and turn on the input monitor. A MIDI clip on track A will then affect whatever is on tracks B and C. Alternatively you can daisy chain them sending MIDI from track A to track B, track B to track C etc.

The second one is more difficult because it is a lot less desirable so Ableton have not really implemented it for good reason - if MIDI is coming in from several sources there seems to be a pretty high chance of note on/note offs getting messed up, cc going a bit mad, and general confusion. You can set a track to "all ins" for external MIDI controllers I guess because you will only play one controller at a time. It is possible to do things however- if instead of using the input monitor you use the record button you can get a track to play its own MIDI clip as well as another one and pass both sets of MIDI to more tracks, and you can again daisy chain tracks to build up multiple layers of MIDI.

Leaving aside why you would want to - people usually have fairly good reasons for the projects they do - this does have the disadvantage of leaving record buttons on for multiple tracks which you do not necessarily want to actually record which is a bit messy and will make any actual recording problematic..

Byxx

Post by Byxx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks for your insight!
creatives should be able to design un-restricted midi routings, if not posible yet in LIVE. It´s a typical part of more complex rhythm settings and such ...

Its easy to use M4Ls send and receive blocks as a workaround. Restriction: M4L is not intended to play in Rewire mode. 8O I am looking for a easy solution to distribute and multiply midi signals for live performances.

BX
ALS 10 on WIN10

timday

Post by timday » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:15 am

Actually now I think about it I'm an idiot - it's possible to send multiple MIDI tracks to one using the MIDI to field and setting the track to input monitor or record. Must have been half asleep before.

So to sum up:
Although each track is set up to only send to or recieve from one track
- You can have a track send to multiple tracks by using the "MIDI from" field in the recieving tracks
- You can have a track recieve from multiple tracks by using the "MIDI to" field in the sending tracks.

Does that do what you want?

Byxx

Post by Byxx » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Again, thanks so much for your patience and help.

I saw the chapter and went through it already. I am not sure if the following is possible:
Would be glad if you would have a look again:

Setup idea:

sources:
Single midi tracks: A, B and C

source combinations (on target tracks:)
AB, AC, BC, ABC on four other tracks at the same time.

--------------------------------------
AFAIK, you can assign one MIDI track to another one at a time.
In my understanding I can´t assign a track multiple times and you only can choose one source track to be received only one at a time.

Please forgive, if I oversaw something. My wish would be to only have to change some MIDI notes here and there on the source tracks (A,B and C ) to lead to changes in the overall arrangement without having to rearrange several clip´s copies in each of the (many) project´s tracks.

Of course, it would be possible to copy clips multiple times across multiple tracks. But my attempt is to hold down the parts to be changed by more complex routing. It would lead to a kind of MIDI routing matrix.

Thank you for your kind help and information
BX
ALS 10 on WIN10