Record scene 2 with mapped key on session record button

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
OSullivan

Record scene 2 with mapped key on session record button

Post by OSullivan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:59 pm

I usually can find stuff pretty easy but somehow this time cant seem to ask the question properly. I hope I succeed this time;
I have mapped keys to 3 functions:
A = scene up
B = scene down
C = session record button
I arm track 1 press C and it starts recording, press C again and it stops. This can be done in any scene if the track is empty and/or there is no clip playing.
I want to record into the next scene by pressing C but if there is a clip playing in another scene in the same track it won't start recording. This is strange because if I click on the record button in the track, or use my APC mini, it will start recording that track and stop the other clip in the same track.
How can I make the (key mapped) session record button work on an empty scene when a clip is playing in the same track on another scene?

chapelier fou

Re: Record scene 2 with mapped key on session record button

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:50 am

They really messed up their software when they made Push.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

OSullivan

Post by OSullivan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:37 am

Im not on a push device. Do you mean it can't be done?

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:31 pm

That’s precisely my point. They made several “improvements “ when they introduced Push that introduced weird workflows
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

OSullivan

Post by OSullivan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Bummer :cry:

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:11 pm

Try using the "Scene Launch" button than only appears in the Master Track when in MIDI Map Mode, with the "Trigger Recording on Launch" option (on the context-menu when you right-click a Scene).

The Help Panel description clearly says the Session Record button toggles overdub for playing Clips, and for Audio Clips overdub is only for automation (not audio).
♥♥♥

OSullivan

Post by OSullivan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:29 am

pottering wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:11 pm
Try using the "Scene Launch" button than only appears in the Master Track when in MIDI Map Mode, with the "Trigger Recording on Launch" option (on the context-menu when you right-click a Scene).

The Help Panel description clearly says the Session Record button toggles overdub for playing Clips, and for Audio Clips overdub is only for automation (not audio).
I don't want to overdub, I want to create a whole new clip. Your method will stop all the clips in a scene and record armed tracks in a new scene. What I want to do is record scene 1 drum clip, then add bass clip in scene 1. switch to scene 2, record drum clip and have scene 1 bass clip continue playing.