Ableton Live 10 GUI – Clip Colors

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
last email

Ableton Live 10 GUI – Clip Colors

Post by last email » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:05 pm

Me and my partner we are using Cubase Pro 9.5 and Live 9, a couple of days ago we decided to check the newer version 10.0.3.

Surprisingly from the beginning, older projects in the arrangement view seemed very crowded, and the actual cause is the full color clips. There’s simply too much color information making my eyes tired very easily.
But even when you click the new global automation mode button to show/hide automation, clips are semitransparent and not transparent as they used to be till version 9.

Although the whole GUI (colors, track channel names) are snappier, somehow the older GUI was way smoother for the eyes. It was easier to associate clips in the arrangement view with channel names, and the channel name font was bolder making it more readable.

Clip colors in older versions were darker but not tiring. In v10 the lighter clip colors have more contrast, tiring the eyes even when you work even for short periods.

Also, when selecting midi clip notes in version 9, the notes were getting bolder making them stand out from the rest notes. In version 10, highlighting a midi note/notes just adds a thin outline, making it very hard to distinguish them from the rest.

Sincerely, I feel lost in arrangement view in Live 10 when making a new project or when opening projects from version 9 or earlier.

Could you give us an option from preferences menu to switch back to version 9 Look/Feel? Maybe you could add the old colors to the new pallet or maybe you could add a choice from preferences to switch to old pallet colors.
Or at least, when you click the global automation button, please make the clips transparent as they used to be till V9.

PS: “Clouds theme” in preferences menu was the friendlier/smoother theme for the eyes, at least for me. Can you please add it again?

Below it’s the same project opened in Live 9 & 10.

PS2: From a quick search I found many complaints on youtube from various users about this new GUI issue:
https://youtu.be/-2s2NHpPnns

https://youtu.be/mTT8IJ6K7lU

last email

Re: Ableton Live 10 GUI – Clip Colors

Post by last email » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Really surprised that no one commented here. I really fell lost in the arrangement with all the added color in clips. Live had the cleanest view from all DAWs, it’s sad to see that you tried to look like other programs. Live simply had the best GUI from any other DAW. Fast and efficient. Now I have to spend time trying to find what clip corresponds to what channel. People say, if it’s not broken, don’t fix it.

At least when you click the global automation button (up right) to show automation for all tracks, could you please make the clips transparent as they used to be till version 9.

Elias57

Post by Elias57 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:19 am

Yes, this is too much. Would be nice to have an option for the old style.

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:14 am

Agreed. Like the OP explains, i'm straining my eyes in Live 10 because of the same reasons. Working in Live 9 arrangement view is way easier on the eyes.

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:02 am

Double agree. This one of the reasons iam stil on 9.
That and the upgrade price isnt worth no 279$
Hell no..
For everything they added its just a work wound you can do in 9
Thanks for sharing

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Live 10 can use Live 9 skins, you just drop them in the Themes folder (much like you loaded 3rd party skins in Live 9).
♥♥♥

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Yes, i know, but that doesnt change the clips redesign.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:59 am

Sorry, I misread, I think I confused this post with another thread about Live's skins/themes (I tend to open several tabs at the same time).
♥♥♥

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:24 am

Understandable, I do that sometimes to.
Cheers

caner505

Post by caner505 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:40 pm

I totally agree with this, transparency (LIKE IN LIVE 9) for the clip should be an option in the menu, it's horrible to look at and in truth I'll probably stick to 9 until they do it (I've bought and own 10)

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:42 pm

Thus guy made a Live 10 theme/skin for 9 a few years ago.

I think its pretty cool. And decent to look at.

Just adjust the colors to your liking.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/84ma3mgka5r0k ... n.ask?dl=0