Loading old (saved) clips crashes live constantly.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mholloway

Loading old (saved) clips crashes live constantly.

Post by mholloway » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:06 pm

So... I like to save a lot of clips. Now I'm getting punished for it. Because Live -- current, 10.1.6 -- crashes whenever I try to load older clips into a session ((specifically: locate clip in user library, drag into session or arrangement, live crashes).

Saving clips is normally great practice -- it gives you the MIDI, plus the instrument and effects that were originally in the track the clip was saved from. So in some cases, it's an even 'better package' than saving an instrument rack, because you get the rack (or non-racked instrument) + additional effects + the MIDI clip itself with all the clip settings. So, that's why I've made such a habit of saving content as clips.

But now I wish I hadn't. All my old archived clip content, when dragged into session or arrangement = Crash City.

Here's the thing: if I save clips in the current version, they will load fine. It's just the older stuff. I'm not sure exactly how old. There's probably some meaningful cutoff date. It seems things I've saved relatively recently (current version, perhaps one or two before it, hard to say) load fine. But anything I grab that's a clip saved from a while back -- months, or in most cases, years (I've been using Live since 2009) it will crash the second it's dropped into a session.

Thoughts? It's a horrifying thought to think all my archived Clip content can no longer be accessed inside Live, and yet currently, there's exactly where I'm at.

Note: I have also submitted this issue to Ableton support directly.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Tone Deft

Re: Loading old (saved) clips crashes live constantly.

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:26 pm

support should know...

it's a workaround but does opening them in an older version of Live, saving them off then opening them in the current version work to save your old work?

is there maybe a plug-in in there somewhere in your old stuff that makes Live choke?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:31 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:26 pm
support should know...

it's a workaround but does opening them in an older version of Live, saving them off then opening them in the current version work to save your old work?

is there maybe a plug-in in there somewhere in your old stuff that makes Live choke?
Per the second point: there's no way to know, I have literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of clips, covering a huge range of content. There's all kinds of plugins throughout those clips, it's impossible to guess what might be causing the crash among all the possible content (native and third party both) stored in those clips.

Per your first point, I'm not sure what you mean. Let's say I load up an old version of Live and load in an old clip successfully -- now what? You say "saving them off then opening them in current version" -- saving them as what? Clips again? Loading clips from old versions seems to be the entire problem I'm having in the current version, so I don't see how resaving old clips in old versions is going to change anything, insofar as the current version is concerned. I'd once again just be loading a clip from an old version. Unless you meant save them in a non-clip format? In that case yes, I could at least access the racks stored with the clips, but I'd be losing the clip content itself in the process, which doesn't seem like a great workaround for all the hassle just to get the stuff, I still wouldn't have my MIDI clip.

thanks for thinking it over, -M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:49 pm

I don't see how resaving old clips in old versions is going to change anything, insofar as the current version is concerned.
yeah, that was where I was going. Live has changed how it handles files over the years. the file management system etc. stuff 'under the hood' of Live that might maybe have changed. total speculation here, this just ain't right.

"save them off as what?"
you got me there. answers I'd think of just involve more manual operations and workarounds when it really should be drag and drop backward compatible. like saving each clip in a new set, so much overhead considering how many clips you're talking about.

good luck!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz