Control Surface "MaxForLive" ?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
sefable

Control Surface "MaxForLive" ?

Post by sefable » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:15 am

Hello,

While looking at the list of Control Surface in Ableton preferences (Link/MIDI -> Control Surface) I found out there is a "MaxForLive" control surface.

I can not find any documentation online about what possibilities this brings.

Maybe I am not using the right search keywords?

Would anyone know what it allows?

I know about developing Instrument and Midi/Audio effect devices with max for live.

But what about a control surface?

Thanks!

sefable

Re: Control Surface "MaxForLive" ?

Post by sefable » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks for your input.

Would anybody know how, as a developer, how I can leverage this "type" of control surface?

Is there anyway to develop a max for live patch that would leverage this?

sefable

Post by sefable » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:54 am

I am thinking that one may develop a standalone max msp patch with knobs & sliders that could be used as a control surface.

These knobs and slider would be mapped inside max msp to different pieces of hardware (instead of mapping/activating them in ableton) and would be able to leverage the bank switching / active device / device next-previous features of a standard control surface script.

This would be a lot easier than developing a python remote script since there is no documentation. And the developing process (updating the code) would be nicer.

If you don't have any more information on this please let other people answer. Otherwise it looks like the question is answered when it's not really. If there is an entry in this menu it has to have a purpose or an explanation of why it exists there. It's ok not to know what it is. Thanks :)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:17 am

Near the bottom of this page in the Control Surfaces section: https://docs.cycling74.com/max8/vignett ... ject_model
Live offers a special MaxForLive control surface that has a register_midi_control function. Using this, Max for Live developers can set up entirely custom control surfaces by adding and grabbing arbitrary controls.....
....(MaxForLive control surface only) Register a MIDI control defined by status and number. Supported status codes are 144 (note on), 176 (continuous control) and 224 (pitchbend).
Returns the LOM ID associated with the control.

sefable

Post by sefable » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:20 am

Nice!!!!!!! thanks

I really have issues looking up ableton and max documentation, there is something I'm not doing right.

I'm thinking they are not properly indexed in google and I should use direct searches in them..

sefable

Post by sefable » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:28 am

I now know that it's possible but It's really not clear how one would "set up entirely custom control surfaces".

The documentation is lacking some high-level steps in order to achieve that.

I really don't know where to start. I'm guessing the first step is not to make a MaxForLive device patch since a control surface is about controlling such devices.

If anyone has an idea..

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:47 am

Search on Youtube for nativeKONTROL, he covered it when it was released.

Cheers
D

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:30 pm

I love seeing actual knowledge coming back to this forum !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:30 pm

sefable

Post by sefable » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:55 pm

The quality of that video is really good. It made me feel more comfortable writing remote scripts.

However it does not show how to use the "MaxForLive" remote script that can be selected in "Link/MIDI -> Control Surface".

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:37 pm

Googled - youtube nativekontrol maxforlive remote script

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFKfph2nv4k

Cheers
D

sefable

Post by sefable » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:52 pm

That's exactly what I was looking for thanks.

The video shows that using the MaxForLive control surface requires having a max for live device somewhere in the live set for it to be leveraged. That was one of my main questions.

Within that max for live device, if it's possible to listen to device selection events and also switch parameter banks, then it's a good alternative to developing remote scripts in Python.

sefable

Post by sefable » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:09 am

I'm making good progress but I am stuck when I try to receive midi values from a controller.

In the video, at https://youtu.be/NFKfph2nv4k?t=110, the guy uses 3 subpatches "value_observer" and "value_sender" and "parameter_observer"

But he doesn't explain how they work.

I did not find a "property" I could "observe" on a controller nor any method "call" I could use.

Does anybody have an idea on how to receive and send values once a controller has been registered with "register_midi_control" ?

Thanks!