Bass Input Clarity

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
G297
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:55 am

Bass Input Clarity

Post by G297 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:00 am

I've recently acquired a bass and anytime I try to play it through the program I end up with a sound that slowly decays into bits. Like I start playing and the tone is clean and as I continue to play the sound falls apart. I originally was having latency issues, remedied by ASIO, however now anytime I want to reset the tone after it deconstructs I have to reset the ASIO drivers settings. IDK if I explained this well but I haven't been able to find anything about anything like this online. I've tried changing my tone and my input volume, adjusting the EQ on my bass, I can't figure out what's going on. pls help if you know something about this issue.

also of note, guitar input has the same problem but less frequently, which may indicate to me that the problem is with the intensity of the bass input? but as I mentioned adjusting that still isn't a foolproof fix, it always falls apart as I play.

jestermgee
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:38 am
Contact:

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by jestermgee » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:30 am

Audio interface?
How you have things connected (amp into input, direct from bass)
???

Mark Williams
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:43 pm
Location: Deal, Kent

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:00 am

What is it, with all these posts asking for help, with little or scant system setup details.
Live 10,Push 2, Maschine MK3 & KK S61 MK2, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12D, Pro 1, K-2,Roland MC-707, Komplete 12, Minitaur, Hydrasynth, NDLR

jestermgee
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:38 am
Contact:

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by jestermgee » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 am

Mark Williams wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:00 am
What is it, with all these posts asking for help, with little or scant system setup details.
Just a sign of the times where people just don't really think. I guess if users were thinkers they would be thinking on how to solve their issues instead of waiting for someone else to do it.

miyaru
Posts: 840
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by miyaru » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:47 am

Yeah, it's all to easy, just cry for help without any relevant info, and we solve it!

People forget you have to learn a lot things in this kind of business. From knowing the software to basic audio engineering skills etc.

So I would say read learn expierence!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.

Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Live Suit 10, Push2, Reason Suite 11, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4 and Scaler.

Mark Williams
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:43 pm
Location: Deal, Kent

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:07 pm

This complete lack of info when asking for help is main reason why I stopped trying to help others, but seems to be getting more and more prevalent.
Live 10,Push 2, Maschine MK3 & KK S61 MK2, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12D, Pro 1, K-2,Roland MC-707, Komplete 12, Minitaur, Hydrasynth, NDLR

G297
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:55 am

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by G297 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:44 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 am
Mark Williams wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:00 am
What is it, with all these posts asking for help, with little or scant system setup details.
Just a sign of the times where people just don't really think. I guess if users were thinkers they would be thinking on how to solve their issues instead of waiting for someone else to do it.
Well apologies but I'm new to this so maybe ask me for some specific details instead of just being rude about it.

Further, I have clearly tried doing my own research but come up empty handed, hence I came here to ask for help.
Last edited by G297 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G297
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:55 am

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by G297 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:45 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:30 am
Audio interface?
How you have things connected (amp into input, direct from bass)
???
I have a behringer UMC22

G297
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:55 am

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by G297 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:48 pm

miyaru wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:47 am
Yeah, it's all to easy, just cry for help without any relevant info, and we solve it!

People forget you have to learn a lot things in this kind of business. From knowing the software to basic audio engineering skills etc.

So I would say read learn expierence!!!!
well I haven't been able to come up with anything through my own research so ye, asking for help seems to be the smart thing to do instead of staring at it blankly after exhausting my own options

G297
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:55 am

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by G297 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:48 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:07 pm
This complete lack of info when asking for help is main reason why I stopped trying to help others, but seems to be getting more and more prevalent.
well what would you like to know about my setup

Mark Williams
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:43 pm
Location: Deal, Kent

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:33 pm

You expect people to guess and solve your problem.. Not happening.
Live 10,Push 2, Maschine MK3 & KK S61 MK2, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12D, Pro 1, K-2,Roland MC-707, Komplete 12, Minitaur, Hydrasynth, NDLR

Tone Deft
Posts: 23745
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:40 pm

post an audio clip. we'll know real quick what the source is.

check your audio chain closely for clipping. if the guitar runs through this signal path then you're probably not clipping.

what you might be missing is the nature of the electric bass guitar, they can buzz frets a lot easier than guitars.

I've had people mention to me that their new bass sucks because it doesn't sound right BUT THEY NEVER PLUGGED IT IN, and they quit playing. not saying this is you but I've seen a break in period with people new to bass. I'm a guitar player who has owned and scantly played bass for 10 years or so. it also has to do with how you strum/pluck/slap the bass notes to make it sound right.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, guitars, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

jestermgee
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:38 am
Contact:

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by jestermgee » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:01 pm

G297 wrote: Well apologies but I'm new to this so maybe ask me for some specific details instead of just being rude about it.

Further, I have clearly tried doing my own research but come up empty handed, hence I came here to ask for help.
Didn’t mean for it to sound rude but as you can imagine, after 10 years of trying to help people in free time when you have little more to work with than “this thing isn’t working and I’ve tried stuff and nothing happens help!!!!!” Does make you wonder why people bother asking when they can’t provide information that could help them get an answer. Years gone by it was a different game and it is honestly why I have seen many great and knowledgeable people just stop caring.

Anyway, I did ask for 2 things, the audio interface and the way you have it setup. You still failed to provide details of your setup so we still have no idea what your issue could be. Could be your input recording sample rate, bitrate settings, audio connection issue, mismatched connection type, overloaded input signal, amp issue, cable issue, wrong cable type, audio interface settings, audio effect..... or a million other things. As mentioned, it’s a guessing game.

What have you done so far to try solve the issue based on the research you have done?

jonljacobi
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:36 am

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by jonljacobi » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:08 pm

Increase your interface buffer size.

jlgrimes
Posts: 1376
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Re: Bass Input Clarity

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:28 pm

G297 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:00 am
I've recently acquired a bass and anytime I try to play it through the program I end up with a sound that slowly decays into bits. Like I start playing and the tone is clean and as I continue to play the sound falls apart. I originally was having latency issues, remedied by ASIO, however now anytime I want to reset the tone after it deconstructs I have to reset the ASIO drivers settings. IDK if I explained this well but I haven't been able to find anything about anything like this online. I've tried changing my tone and my input volume, adjusting the EQ on my bass, I can't figure out what's going on. pls help if you know something about this issue.

also of note, guitar input has the same problem but less frequently, which may indicate to me that the problem is with the intensity of the bass input? but as I mentioned adjusting that still isn't a foolproof fix, it always falls apart as I play.
What kind of Bass do you have?

(Active or Passive)


What type of input are you using?

(Line or HiZ)

What type/model of interface?

Buffer settings?

Sample Rate?

Direct monitoring on or off?

Input levels peaking at what?

Have you tried recording other instruments (vocals, hardware synths)?

Is your interface working fine otherwise?

Is your drivers up to date?

Post Reply