Tell me about your music.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:52 pm

1. Pure Fustration
2. Noise
3. 10 Years give or take a little...

computo

Post by computo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:39 pm

LOFA wrote:I'm liking your music Computo, but of course I also like DJ Shadow...
I just dont know how to feel about that....
:D

elemental

Re: Tell me about your music.

Post by elemental » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:58 pm

1) Why do you make music?

Because I love it
Because this is, I think, my reason for being on Earth in this time.
To express the inexpressable. To tap into unseen forces. TO bring people together.

And also to prove to myself what I am capable of, and to show the world what I am capable of. Part of that I guess is massaging my ego a bit, but I try and avoid that.

I also love felling that I am part of a movement, helping to push bounderies of style, explore new combinations of sound & rhythm.

Finally, I just want to give something back to the scene(s) that nourished me and inspired me so much iin the past.

2) What do you call your "style"?

dub techno jungle breaks

or as its called in our scene "breakstep" sometimes becoming "dubstep"

3) How long have you been making music?

Started at about 14-15, (i'm almost 27 now) messing around with some atari's and roland d5 keyboards at school (we were very lucky with that) trying to make hardcore (early breakbeat just before it evolved into jungle / drum'n'bass) which never sounded like I wanted but I learnt loads, staying at school after hours just to work on tracks.... then later got my own PC with a simple Roland sound card that used to make music with till I was about 17 .... when I finally got my first sampler, akai s2000 ... changed my life, made some crazy music .... put one DnB white label out but no clue bout distro, only sold about 70 by going into record shops ..!

Then went to uni, no time for music anymore, just did it as a hobby, tried to get some DnB releases with a label but fell thru.... FF to finish uni, back in London checking pirate radio again, boom remembered that this is what i wanna do ... started producing with a mate, we got a P&D deal after a few months, but it all fell thru after one release .. then got tied up with work + life etc .... but last 2-3 years been on it proper, found the scene that I've been looking for since the end of the jungle era, and now all I do is work and make beats at night/weekends. Finally got labels and DJ's on my case instead of the other way round!

phew ...

The Revrend

Post by The Revrend » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:20 am

So calm the voices raging in my head to do innappropriate things involving Lawn Gnomes, electrified restraints, and a cross eyed nun with a bull whilp and a bottle of gin.

Rhythmic Noise

1996-1997 started messing around wtih Buzz. Moved to Fruity and Sound Forge Acid. Audiomulch and finally into Live 5.0

Rev
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400 Toledo Core // 2 GB of Corsair XMS // WD Raptor "X" 1500 // Creative X-Fi Professional // EVGA GeForce 7900GT 256MB // G5 Laser Mouse // Viewsonic VX922 LCD Monitor // Coolermaster Ammo 533 Case

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:18 am

Without a creative outlet I think I might literally go insane. I draw and do graphic design and write as well, but sound is my preferred medium. I love sound.

Been struggling lately with genres and sub genres to help guide others that may want to listen. In truth I really don't care about labels. I do mainly electronic music now, mostly with beats. I also play guitar, and enjoy doing everything from blues to rock to pop to classical to folk to funk to ambient.

Well, I've been playing guitar for 30 years, but I did a lot of experimenting with sounds and tape for several years before that.

My latest track is here:

Death For The Dying

and a selection of recent tracks is here:

http://www.zoozither.com/music.htm
Image Image

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:52 am

I play music because I'm obsessed with music.
I recognize fully the kind of music I like will not get me laid or famous, and I'm fine with that.

I started playing music in the late 80's as a teenager. We used a mac plus with Performer, which became Digital Performer now, we were doing industrial with beats and guitar before NIN, and Ministry broke. Something like Skinny Puppy and Front 242.
I played in NY noise and Metal bands in the 90's, and felt the urge to return to more electronic music a few years ago. Live is my third DAW, and definitely what I perform with, but I use everything I own, Logic, DP, Reactor, etc..

I play Industrial, but I think of Industrial as experimental electronics, IDM, Electro Clash, weird Techno, and Breakcore, not necessarily just angry sounding club music.

There are currently two songs on the flash player.

http://www.futurekill.org

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:17 pm

it's fun in a way that is not demanding except when it's demanding, and then it can be challenging but not in a way that is not fun.

The label that is usually provided from a drop down is "experimental", but i have no hypotheisis, so I'm not really that scientific about it.

I think the best description is "exploratory formed-stochastic"

pretty much all my life. i should be better at it by now.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:44 pm

1) Why? Why not?

2) Pop. I hope.

3) Since I was 12-13? I dunno. Think I started with SoundEdit16 and PlayerPro in '97ish.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:19 pm

elemental wrote:1) Why do you make music?

Because I love it
Because this is, I think, my reason for being on Earth in this time.
To express the inexpressable. To tap into unseen forces. TO bring people together.

And also to prove to myself what I am capable of, and to show the world what I am capable of. Part of that I guess is massaging my ego a bit, but I try and avoid that.

I also love felling that I am part of a movement, helping to push bounderies of style, explore new combinations of sound & rhythm.

Finally, I just want to give something back to the scene(s) that nourished me and inspired me so much iin the past.

dub techno jungle breaks

or as its called in our scene "breakstep" sometimes becoming "dubstep"

Started at about 14-15, (i'm almost 27 now) messing around with some atari's and roland d5 keyboards at school (we were very lucky with that) trying to make hardcore (early breakbeat just before it evolved into jungle / drum'n'bass) which never sounded like I wanted but I learnt loads, staying at school after hours just to work on tracks.... then later got my own PC with a simple Roland sound card that used to make music with till I was about 17 .... when I finally got my first sampler, akai s2000 ... changed my life, made some crazy music .... put one DnB white label out but no clue bout distro, only sold about 70 by going into record shops ..!

Then went to uni, no time for music anymore, just did it as a hobby, tried to get some DnB releases with a label but fell thru.... FF to finish uni, back in London checking pirate radio again, boom remembered that this is what i wanna do ... started producing with a mate, we got a P&D deal after a few months, but it all fell thru after one release .. then got tied up with work + life etc .... but last 2-3 years been on it proper, found the scene that I've been looking for since the end of the jungle era, and now all I do is work and make beats at night/weekends. Finally got labels and DJ's on my case instead of the other way round!

phew ...

Bravo! Well Put. Don't think I could have put it any different. Cepting the Ego part. You gotta give props to your ego and it does need to be fed. Why else would we be motivated to do anything? No need to feel guilt there. It's when it becomes arrogance and doesn't allow others to shine that it becomes a problem for me.

I'd love to here some of your stuff.

Me. I've been into music for a long time but didn't have a very supportive family (waste of time). My grandfather is a jazz trombonist but I don't know him too well. So maybe it is in the blood. I've been picking up anything that I can make noise with and running with it. Bout 15 years ago I discovered an electronic music class while I was doing film studies. The teacher was a gift to me and I have had it in my heart ever since. I had to put it off for many years due to finances and family but realized a couple of years ago that this is what I am here for and it is for real. I've been boning up on theory and just listening and experimenting ever since.

My style= All of my influences plus all the things I've done to my head. I like many kinds of music. I tend to go for a very bassy sound (electroish) with a lot of (acoustic) instruments thrown in. I usually put a psychedelic bent to it because I like playing with effects . Grew up on Hip Hop and Punk rock so I guess they come through too. Love beats!

My latest attempt Dee -lite meets Plump Djs meets Shpongle meets Thievery Corporation. Not so much their sound but more their approach. Oh and a lot of Dub approach as well.

3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:27 pm

Music has been my life, all my life. I'm turning 60 this year, and I've played the violin for 55 years, almost 35 professionally. Just about every possible context a fiddle could play in: classical orchestras, orchestras backing pop headliners, musicals in the pit, string quartets at weddings, the occasional opera or rock tour (did the US with Van Morrison in 1986). I'm still kicking, through the changes in the business (way less professional recording than years ago 'cause of the rise of sampling, etc.)

The big addition for me was my introduction to Reason. It unlocked a vein of creativity that I'd been searching for for quite a while. I would definitely not be able to categorize my stuff; on my host, SoundClick, I'm "alternative/experimental". A mix of soundscape (I record background/ambient sound with a minidisc rig, also have stuff from around the world), synthesized voices, sound effects. Sometimes come out like little plays or comedy sketches. Anyone interested can tap into:

www.soundclick.com/johntenney

Most everything there is created in Reason, except my 2-part Vegas piece, done in Live 4 (with Reason rewired in). I'm just getting back into Live (5, now), I've been doing Reason and Finale arrangement/notation projects for a while. I'm really looking forward to seeing how 5 has changed. I feel like I'm still growing, looking for new outlets while continuing to explore the older ones (and still playing weddings...)

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to share!

later,
John
www.soundclick.com/johntenney

iMac G5, Reason 3.0, Live 5, Peak 5.01 LE, mp3 Trimmer, Finale 2006, various VSTs, Yamaha PSR 170 keyboard (cheap midi controller), Evolution UC33e (not so cheap midi controller)

Farr

stem

Post by Farr » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:36 pm

here's our project:

http://www.stemweb.net/audio.htm

acid meets grunge.

tb-303s meet rickenbackers.

laptops with marshalls.

feedback always welcome.

farr
Farr
iBook 1GHz, 40 Gig HD, 768MB RAM, M-AUDIO Firewire 410, Remote25, Trigger Finger, Live 4, Rickenbacker 330, 1962 VOX AC-30.

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:07 pm

lstark wrote:The majority of music being created with Live is not what I'd call "average".

If you have something online you're proud of, put a link here and tell me about your music.

I'm very curious. 8)
1. I am a hypergraphic. I have no choice. It's not a question of why, I just do.

2. ADD. My style is for the attention deficit. The changups are always rapid. Sometimes bombastic, somtimes more subtle, but it's always in motion.

3. I have been playing instruments since ten years old. That makes it 18 years. Doing the stuff I'm doing now, I'd say closer to ten years.

www.statikfire.com

check out my downloads, they hold true to the statements above.

Thank you for listening.
www.statikfire.com
- downloads for club dee jays and internet radio stations
- forum with articles on mixing

Bombastic

Post by Bombastic » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:15 am

Because I love it. Its inside me. No matter how discouraged I get or the negative feedback that comes my way, I will continue to try and improve and make the best music I can. I basically like to make music so I know I have something that I LIKE to listen to. I am dissillusioned with what´s on the radio and my favorite artists dont make new music quickly enough (or dont make music anymore), so I take it apon myself to make music I like to hear.

I am influenced by many types of music, foremost, Prince is the biggest influence although I dont think I sound like him as I make sample/electronica. I love prodigy, chemical bros, etc and grunge like nirvana, anything from the 80´s is fantastic, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Paul Young, M Jackson, etc and old stuff from the 70´s (Chicago, Boston, Split Enz) and 60´s (Beatles, Dylan). Anyway, my music is influenced from any of these but is primarliy electronica.

I started writing lyrics when I was 10, and have a little notebook where I wrote daily from the age of 11 onwards. I learnt the piano at 10 and studied until I was 15. So I was writing music on piano from 15 onwards. Had my first keyboard Korg M1 when I Was 17 and started computer music about 5 years ago..

I now have a website if anyone is interested in hearing some of my latest tunes.
www.slumberlords.co.uk or
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=663945 (to get more info about what we do and who we are - as well as the songs!)

PEACE

radib

Post by radib » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:48 am

1) joy and contribute.

2) don´t have it developed yet, only trying to combine contrary elements and sounds. maybe somewhen it all gets together.

3) about one year ;)