Better video card for improved Push 2 performance?

Discuss Push with other users.
ndisguise

Better video card for improved Push 2 performance?

Post by ndisguise » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:03 pm

I believe that Push 2's display is fed by the computers graphics card.

Will a better graphics card noticeably improve the performance of Push 2's display ie. menu's being sluggish to load or the screen being slow to react to knob movements.

or is it more likely that it's a combination of factors that result in it's sluggish behaviour?

Computer build is ok - i7 2600, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, Windows 10
But my graphics card is ancient - GeFore GT520

Thoughts?

miyaru

Re: Better video card for improved Push 2 performance?

Post by miyaru » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:08 pm

I own a Push2, and my PC, an i7-7700,16GB system has a Nividia GeForce 210 Graphic Card. Very simple, not even CUDA cores at all, but Push is responsive and not lagging. In both Live 10 Suite as well as Reason 11 Suite using PusheR2 it is steady and OK!

Can be your USB system too......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:09 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:17 pm
You video card has nothing to do with the displays on the Push.
Not true:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... splay-Win-

To quote:
Because the Push 2 display is rendered by the computer's graphics card, if the graphics card driver is not fully up to date, it may cause display issues similar to what is shown in the following pictures
It may in fact help (probably would, that card is pretty useless for much these days) to get a better GPU as it is rendered by the GPU using the Push2DisplayProcess so as to not load the CPU. Don't forget that a GPU is just a processor that can be used for tasks other than gaming, look at bitcoin mining for instance...

However, your CPU is quite old by today's standard too (and so would your motherboard and memory) so rather than just upgrading your GPU (which may not actually address the issue totally) you might want to consider an update of an entire system and maybe save a little money. If you have a spare $50 you could get a low end card but just be sure your MOBO PCIx lanes will support it.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:12 pm

Even though the Push does use the GPU, I cannot imagine it putting very much load on it.

If the info in the link provided above does not help...

Do you have an HDD or SSD for storage?
Windows 10 has become almost unusable on a traditional hard drive. One reason for this is that even the Start menu is an executable now - one of the more recent updates introduced this PITA.

I would think that if you are using an HDD the shortest path to success is buying an SSD, using the transfer tool, and installing it in your system.

If you open the Task Manager while you have your DAW setup running, you should be able to see fairly quickly if the drive is your bottleneck by checking the Disk on either the Process or Performance tab.

hth
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:24 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:42 am
Interesting read as well, now I'm even more motivated to look into the M4l API's to access the Push display.
There isn't one :-(

Cheers
D