Save As vs Save a Copy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
matthewnovachis

Save As vs Save a Copy

Post by matthewnovachis » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:29 am

Hey everyone
I am having a hard time figuring out the difference between the Save As command and the Save a Copy command. Is this a question of computer hierarchy or a question of Ableton hierarchy? Help distinguishing this would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

chrk

Re: Save As vs Save a Copy

Post by chrk » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:00 pm

It's just a question of choice how you want to organize different versions of your work.

Let's assume you start a new Live Set MySet.als.

You save it a number of times, at one point you think it's time to start a new fork. 'Save As' MySet01.als; MySet.als gets left behind in its last saved state, and you go on working with MySet1.als until you feel like going into another fork, MySet02.als.

The other scenario: You keep working on MySet.als throughout the whole lifecycle of the project and 'Save As Copy' MySet[YYMMDD].als everytime you want to take a snapshot of a given state. You keep these MySet[YYMMDD]s as a sort of backup, you can resort to when you feel like you have taken a wrong turn.

matthewnovachis

Post by matthewnovachis » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:20 pm

Thank you for your help!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:22 pm

once you start getting any kind of good feeling about the framework of your new track... it's a real good time to slip a copy off to the side.

i've lost stuff that i still have in my head but i cannot remake...
maybe it's my mind wanting the original version to a fault. if i had just leaned back in my chair, smiled, leaned forward and clicked File > Save As... i could A/B both copies and find out.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:50 pm

Anyone else notice the question was asked in November 2015 but replied back with thanks in 2018?

That is a long time to ponder. :D

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:06 pm

oh snap :lol:

he should have waited until next week :P

offthesky

Post by offthesky » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:05 pm

also fwiw, the "save a copy" feature doesn't remove the undo/redo states, like the save as or save options (at least this is the case in live 9 and before. live 10 remedied this). don't know how many times i've accidentally hit save but needed undo or redo something and then had to go redo a bunch of stuff manually.

luz-io

Post by luz-io » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:26 pm

I think this needs clarification. It took me quite some time to figure out what the difference is, because saving wise there is no difference between 'save as' and 'save a copy', the real differenc lies in what happens after saving: with 'save as' you are going to work on the newly saved version while with 'save a copy' you stay on your current version and the copy is just saved aside. This also explains why the undo still works with 'save a copy'. You can tell the switch of the project by looking at the top bar with the filename.

Personally I only use 'save as' and change from v-1.1 to v-1.2, v-1.3 and so on while I always continue working on the just saved version.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:05 am

luz-io wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:26 pm
Personally I only use 'save as' and change from v-1.1 to v-1.2, v-1.3 and so on while I always continue working on the just saved version.
this works best, imho.

post is still old as dirt though
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.