With Products like MPC ONE coming out does using a computer daw seem old fashion?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
nathannn

With Products like MPC ONE coming out does using a computer daw seem old fashion?

Post by nathannn » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:40 am

Not just a Daw but all music software. Making music with computers is not a new thing. Computers have been powerful enough to make music since Ableton Live came out. Does it seem old fashion to make music with a midi controller and mouse now?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

TLW

Re: With Products like MPC ONE coming out does using a computer daw seem old fashion?

Post by TLW » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:39 am

Looking at it’s specs there’s not that many inputs and outputs, only 2GB memory, it’s controlled by computer software, small screen...

So no, this isn’t a computer replacement. No doubt it will be popular with MPC users but I can’t see it replacing DAWs any time soon.

As far as I’m concerned the “old fashioned” way of doing things involves a large expensive mixer, racks full of processors and a 24 track tape machine......
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

jestermgee

Re: With Products like MPC ONE coming out does using a computer daw seem old fashion?

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:44 pm

nathannn wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:40 am
Computers have been powerful enough to make music since Ableton Live came out.
Been able to make music WAY before Live was even a sprogget. I was making music in DOS on windows 3.1 and commercially there were solutions back in the 80s.

The MPC One is just a groove box with a sequencer. It's neat and like Maschine could probably make most of a track within it but in cases where you want to record, edit instruments (multiple instruments) and easily make a lot of small edits and fills and layers etc I would see it being so much easier (as it always is) using the conveninevce of a mouse/keyboard.

Next thing is instrument and processing effects. We are completely spoiled for choice with plugins that can do a whole range of things. Plugins that have been refined and developed over decades. None of which will run within the MPC so you have to settle for what is in there and what is compatible I guess. Mostly you would be using loops and samples.

Last thing is as mentioned, connectivity. Cannot record multiple tracks at once, can't easily rout signals in and out to artists.... It's far from replacing a whole DAW environment but for performance it could probably work well. It's really just another tool out there for people with a need for drum pad styled devices really and at the end of the day, it's basically just a modern MPC.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:44 pm

nathannn wrote:
Not just a Daw but all music software. Making music with computers is not a new thing. Computers have been powerful enough to make music since Ableton Live came out. Does it seem old fashion to make music with a midi controller and mouse now?
Other way around. Computers will continue to innovate.

Laptop/keyboard combos are becoming more popular for live shows. Laptop stands are getting more popular. Controllers are starting to include built in laptop stands.

It isnt perfect but it isnt totally cumbersome either and with the right stuff you don't even need a mouse.

There are some cool hardware devices though. I recently played a polyphonic moog (oh wow). The best experience I had in awhile. But that said hardware will never completely go away though, but alot of hardware synths just dont seem as cool as they were like 20 years ago. Most stuff I play now I'm like great but I can get the same sound in software.

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:31 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:44 pm
alot of hardware synths just dont seem as cool as they were like 20 years ago. Most stuff I play now I'm like great but I can get the same sound in software.
I’m the other way round. If I create a track using software synths then add in a hardware one, especially an analogue hardware one, to me the software synths sound less “alive” and lack complexity and tone. There are good software synths, but for me they’re mostly based on wavetabling, or granular synthesis which are pretty much impossible to do other than digitally. And they can still often benefit from being passed through an analogue filter.

Software samplers on the other hand have made the old general MIDI style synths and their fake sounding instruments redundant.

But whether software or hardware we’re in a golden age of synthesis, both in the sheer number of synths available and how low prices often are compared to years ago.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:53 pm

TLW wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:39 am
Looking at it’s specs there’s not that many inputs and outputs, only 2GB memory, it’s controlled by computer software, small screen...

So no, this isn’t a computer replacement. No doubt it will be popular with MPC users but I can’t see it replacing DAWs any time soon.

As far as I’m concerned the “old fashioned” way of doing things involves a large expensive mixer, racks full of processors and a 24 track tape machine......
I think it is a computer replacement for some. I know the MPC Live has synths built in and you can add an external hard drive.
Also, If you are using hardware synths and maybe some out board effects I would not see a need to use a computer at all.

Just my opinion I guess.
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:55 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:44 pm
nathannn wrote:
Other way around. Computers will continue to innovate.

Laptop/keyboard combos are becoming more popular for live shows. Laptop stands are getting more popular. Controllers are starting to include built in laptop stands.

It isnt perfect but it isnt totally cumbersome either and with the right stuff you don't even need a mouse.

There are some cool hardware devices though. I recently played a polyphonic moog (oh wow). The best experience I had in awhile. But that said hardware will never completely go away though, but alot of hardware synths just dont seem as cool as they were like 20 years ago. Most stuff I play now I'm like great but I can get the same sound in software.
If you pay attention to the Namm show you would notice that there was not much software on show as there was in previous years.
This year was mostly about hardware. So I can see the computer becoming a thing of the past with dedicated devices like the new line of mpc's and hardware sequencers.

no computers or synths

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:21 pm

I had an MPC1k. learned it. sold it. no regrets.

you can live in that little box and get stuff done but a Musican will make music from stale chewing gum and a waffle if that's all they had.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:17 pm

Why bother with an MPC when an iPad is a multitude of times more flexible??

If anything is a computer killer it is tablets. But at the end of the day, they each for certain have their own strengths carved out.

But yeah..... I had stopped using computers for a good 3 years while diving into iOS. I’m only now beginning to get back into using my PC.

As for the tone of my suggestion in general, it is just a response of the statement you’re attempting to make. But it’s still very legitimate, as is yours. As is support for still using computers.

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:05 pm

nathannn wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:53 pm
Also, If you are using hardware synths and maybe some out board effects I would not see a need to use a computer at all.
Easy MIDI and audio editing functions and ease of arrangement are one reason to use a DAW with hardware instruments and effects. Another is a computer’s storage abilities. Another is I can throw as many compressors, eqs, delays, reverb etc. as I want on to a project until the cpu runs out of steam. And I don’t have to buy a huge rack full of expensive effects hardware to do it. If I want 24 compressors that’s no problem in software, in hardware it would cost a lot of money.

I can also do MIDI things using Live that I can not do using my hardware sequencers. Some people manage very well recording into a Zoom recorder but I prefer the flexibility and power a DAW gives me.

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:09 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:17 pm
If anything is a computer killer it is tablets.
Which are, of course, computers.

We’re a distance off tablets that are as powerful as computers, or as convenient to use when you need to multi-task or want a large display. I do use my iPad to run some MIDI sequencers, which benefit from the touch control, and a couple of digital synths though, which it does very well. One day the tablet format might replace desktop and laptop computers, but we’re not there yet.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:01 pm

My dream is that one day our phone will be the computer. You set it on the desk and use it as a mouse as it auto-connects to the nearest monitor. Or use it any other number of ways. For extra processing power it just ‘borrows’ a nearby data cruncher.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:49 am

yur2die4 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:01 pm
My dream is that one day our phone will be the computer. You set it on the desk and use it as a mouse as it auto-connects to the nearest monitor. Or use it any other number of ways. For extra processing power it just ‘borrows’ a nearby data cruncher.
Maybe but I kind of think plugin developers will constantly find ways of using more CPU load for more "analog" or "realistic" sounds, graphics, memory, storage, connectivity, etc.

The iphone sort of can be a full fledged studio already (working with the limitations) though but I think in reality most phones wont necessarily be the fastest computers because of cost/size/cooling issues.

I think there will always be a need for specialized computers for raw power.

But yeah at some point computers will get smaller and such. But high end gaming computers or even Mac Pros still have a bit of size because of cooling, connectivity, storage, etc, but at some point people might ask themselves is the big powerful computer necessary?

I think though people will make decisions on stripped down portable rigs (which will still get more powerful)
And stationary master systems that are powerful, with huge monitors and such one really wouldn't want to carry around.

I'm somewhat disappointed that the PC all in one music production workstations such the Nekos stopped getting developed but now laptops and controllers are fairly portable though. If a good way to combine a midi controller, laptop, audio interface was available, I'd be all in.