Exported audio sounds quiet, half volume of what it should be.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
markbrennan968

Exported audio sounds quiet, half volume of what it should be.

Post by markbrennan968 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Hello, I'm fairly new to ableton. Whenever I export my tracks, they sound bad when compared to just playing them in ableton before they have been exported. I think it may be to do with my export settings.

I did a test and played the exported version within ableton live and it still sounded lower quality. I solo'd the channel for the exported version of a track and compared it to a grouped version of my whole track. Ideally they should sound the same but they dont, the exported version is far quieter and lacks good low and high frequencies.

I ran the spectrum feature on it to monitor its gain against frequency and noticed the non exported version of my track had twice a gain when compared to the exported version (See attachments 1 and 2 ).

1 - https://ibb.co/hX94YpK
2 - https://ibb.co/Lzz46Kj

My export settings are set to a sample rate of 44100kHz at 16 bits. I also tried exporting it at 32 bits and it still had half a gain reduction when compared to playing it in ableton. My In/Out sample rate within my preferences is set to 44100. See attachments for my preferences and export settings. See attachments 3 and 4 for my settings.

My master output is set at -9dB for headroom when it comes to mastering. But I dont see how that would make both versions sound different when both exported and non exported track are both set to -9dB.

3- https://ibb.co/2sd3LFj[/img]
4- https://ibb.co/ZgN9K5m

markbrennan968

Re: Exported audio sounds quiet, half volume of what it should be.

Post by markbrennan968 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:58 pm

Fixed.

Jackdaw

Post by Jackdaw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:26 pm

how? please share your solution.

Durome

Post by Durome » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:02 pm

+1 Wondering how. This is pretty annoying on such a high end product

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:46 am

Durome wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:02 pm
If you export an unmaximized mix, for listening chances are it will sound wimpy compared to commercial tracks even if your song is well mixed.

The easiest way to fix this is to put a limiter on the final stage of your master bus and limit track to where you are getting a couple of db of gain reduction (generally, you your ears, amount of gain reduction needed varies. It could be none, it could be several db).

The more appropriate solution is to master your track (which is a whole skillset in itself which is why many pay someone who specializes in this field).

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:47 am

jlgrimes wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:46 am
Durome wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:02 pm
If you export an unmaximized mix, for listening chances are it will sound wimpy compared to commercial tracks even if your song is well mixed. This is normal.

The easiest way to fix this is to put a limiter on the final stage of your master bus and limit track to where you are getting a couple of db of gain reduction (generally, you your ears, amount of gain reduction needed varies. It could be none, it could be several db).

The more appropriate solution is to master your track (which is a whole skillset in itself which is why many pay someone who specializes in this field).

Durome

Post by Durome » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:49 pm

Will try that, but i am wondering why you can put one of those commercial tracks through ableton, with no effects and it comes out the other end quieter. Have experienced this making remixes and mixes.

Durome

Post by Durome » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:45 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:47 am
jlgrimes wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:46 am
I dunno how notifications work, hopefully you see my reply above.

Cheers

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:19 pm

Durome wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:49 pm
Will try that, but i am wondering why you can put one of those commercial tracks through ableton, with no effects and it comes out the other end quieter. Have experienced this making remixes and mixes.
I dont have this issue. But I would check the following:

1. Audio track volume fader is at 0 db.
2. Audio clip volume fader is at 0 db.
3. Master track fader is at 0 db.
4. Turn off warping.

Bypass all effects.

Following this scenario if you export a wave file, audio file should be identical to your original audio track.

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 pm

One thing that can cause such volume loss (and more) is if you have a calibration plugin on your master track that you forgot to deactivate while exporting. :-)

Durome

Post by Durome » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:00 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:19 pm
Durome wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:49 pm
I dont have this issue. But I would check the following:

1. Audio track volume fader is at 0 db.
2. Audio clip volume fader is at 0 db.
3. Master track fader is at 0 db.
4. Turn off warping.

Bypass all effects.

Following this scenario if you export a wave file, audio file should be identical to your original audio track.
Everything is at 0 but I was using warping. I don't know why warping could compromise the output. Do you?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:50 am

Maybe check this?
Ableton Forum Moderator

User54

Post by User54 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:28 am

This just happened to me. I exported to both wav and mp3 and the sound was dull. My sound output was on computer speakers. Even though Ableton's tracks were sounding good. the exported files did not. I switched to ASIO and monitor speakers and all the quality I expected from the tracks was present in the exported file. So it really wasn't Ableton in this case.