Ableton Live - Live Film Score Performance

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
WalkingMetaphor

Ableton Live - Live Film Score Performance

Post by WalkingMetaphor » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:58 am

Hi all,

I'm in charge of the live electronics for a live film score performance, with a full symphony orchestra. We are planning on having two computers (main + spare/redundant) running Ableton Live, connected via Dante to the Midas Mixing Desk. The video comes from a different computer and we need to have everything in sync. We would be working in arrangement mode (triggering a timeline, not individual clips).

I'm wondering on what's the best way to do this with Live. Do you have experience using Ableton Link with video software (Resolume, VDMX, other?) for playback (non-generative stuff)? Is it better to rely on 'old-school' MTC or LTC?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

redglass

Re: Ableton Live - Live Film Score Performance

Post by redglass » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:52 pm

What of sync ist coming from the video player?

A way to handle your project safely might be producing your music first followed by rendering stems. Import rendered stems into Reaper, as Reaper is very stable running and offers a few options to sync it to video.

Good luck,

Bastian

WalkingMetaphor

Re: Ableton Live - Live Film Score Performance

Post by WalkingMetaphor » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:08 pm

Thanks Bastian.

I'll look into that, but at the moment it seems we are opting with having Live as the main video player, and a separate computer as a redundancy running video only.

I'll definitely check reaper though.

Best!