Threadripper Processor affinity

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sleeper0013

Threadripper Processor affinity

Post by Sleeper0013 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:08 pm

There are several different chiplet counts on for different versions of AMD threadripper chips, and depending on the CPU An not all of the chiplets have direct memory access, their access to memory is through the infinity fabric through chiplets that do have direct access. It is my knowledge the infinity fabric has the potential to generate allot of Latency So it seems like it would be a bad idea for Live to use processors that are linked to memory through infinity fabric. Processor affinity should be limited to processors with direct memory access only. I do suppose there could be an advantage to using processors that only have access to memory through fabric but it seems like using them as complementary processing is the only benefit. Other wise I see Live not being very discriminatory about its processor usage on Threadrippers, i find i have to manually set processor affinity. The AMD Epic chips wont matter as all cores have direct memory Access. This shouldn't be a hard problem to solve, a simple CPU identification call on startup and then setting up an auto affinity biased on processor identity.