I have made a mistake selecting Ableton

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
JohnP2

I have made a mistake selecting Ableton

Post by JohnP2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:05 pm

First, I have worked in software engineering for over 20 years.

Never in my life have I heard of a product that you purchase, but cannot get ANY support with?

So check this out (I'm SURE you will all find it interesting).

I decided to select Ableton as a software to use with my virtual instruments. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. Why?
1. The software does not work
2, I cannot get ANY support for it.

At this point I am taking legal action. I am working with Amazon to refund my money (PLUS COMPENSATION for three days of wasted time).

MY ISSUE?
I cannot get ANY sound except my vocals.
Let's see:
1. Yes it is armed.
2. Yes I have tried both virtual instrument (microkorg, Launchpad pro, etc) eight different ones to be exact.
3. Yes I have the "Computer Midi Keyboard" option selected.
4. No I don't have any key mappings that would conflict
5. Yes their is a "connection" (I can see the lights move when I press keys--it's ass if the midi sounds are muted.

EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS EXCEPT MIDI SOUNDS. Windows 10.
I've rebooted. I've installed/uninstalled three time. My laptop is an HP with i7. I use Midi based applications all the time with no problems.

But when I saw there was not support available for a product I purchased but does not work. Oh, heck yeah! You've got the right one to f*ck with here.

MY ENTIRE LIFE IS NOT SPENT ON ENSURING I GET REFUNDED THE MONEY FOR THE PRODUCTS THAT INCLUDED THIS "software"l

Yep...the absolute wort mistake I ever made in my life was selecting Ableton to do business with. Remember what I told you,

S4racen

Re: I have made a mistake selecting Ableton

Post by S4racen » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:09 pm

2. Yes I have tried both virtual instrument (microkorg, Launchpad pro, etc) eight different ones to be exact.

These are MIDI Controllers, they don't produce sound.

Their output can be captured an recorded into a MIDI Track, or the MIDI Track to output a sound in response to the notes played in to it you would need to drag one of the instruments from Lives browser into the track, try with an Operator instrument for example.

Cheers
D

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:38 am

Sheesh

Lokan

Post by Lokan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:32 pm

Ableton does have some weird bugs or behaviours specific to machine. My GX49 occasionally stucks only in Live but the retailer couldn't reproduce it so I couldn't get it fixed
jonljacobi wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:38 am
Sheesh
this kind of response is the least helpful to the forum. i get the words behind though

Ableton support is awefully slow. It's just "impossible" to open a business in my country with such a slow response time. People would get so mad and start to break into the office :|

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:10 pm

In my defense, it was more helpful and restrained than the diatribe. But yes, I should just have avoided saying anything. It's difficult sometimes.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:48 pm

This first post, sorry, looks a hell like trolling.
Ableton has a huge support team and it is known for its great efficiency.
What you describe sounds like a user who don’t take the time to understand how a software works but blames the software rather than trying out a bit of humility, a deep breath and some tutorials if you don’t like reading the manual.
Oh, there’s even quality tutorials with interactive Live sets built-in the software’s Help menu...
Ableton Forum Moderator

Lokan

Post by Lokan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:33 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:10 pm
It's difficult sometimes.
[jur] wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:48 pm
true
[jur] wrote:
They took a good care of all the support I needed . But it always takes so long to get an answer.... two weeks was too much for a huge and efficient team...
Every time I complain about this, the support told me they were too busy due to bugs and regressions introduced in new versions. I was told Live had some big issues in the core, and
It must be very tough for devs to deal with those and keep up with users' voice at the same time. IMHO Ableton needs more devs

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:39 pm

You never know what’s going on but I programmed enough to know that regressions aren’t a good sign. If you design it and build it right to begin with, these should be exceedingly rare.

And more devs doesn’t necessarily help. It can take a very long time to get up to speed on old code.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:53 am

[jur] wrote:
What you describe sounds like a user who don’t take the time to understand how a software works but blames the software rather than trying out a bit of humility, a deep breath and some tutorials if you don’t like reading the manual.
Oh, there’s even quality tutorials with interactive Live sets built-in the software’s Help menu...

I do find them pretty responsive the times I emailed.

Bugs can be a nightmare though but it isnt everyone's case or you would see more posts like this on these forums.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 am

I can see from the logs that the OP actually never even came back to see our answers...
So, yeah it's most certainly a troll that wanted to let Google knows about bad experiences with Live.
Ableton Forum Moderator

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:29 am

"you are what you think you are"