Anyone else find the Push 2 unplayable?

Discuss Push with other users.
Stormchild

Re: Anyone else find the Push 2 unplayable?

Post by Stormchild » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:05 am

tedlogan wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:12 pm
I just wish aftertouch could play like Push 1's did. At the moment it's so-so when playing a single note and modulating, but as soon as you start playing legato, you often find yourself back to zero aftertouch if you hit the next pad at full velocity, with no way to modulate it from there without having to "reset" it by reducing pressure almost completely, but in a very unnatural-feeling way. It's hard to describe properly, but with Push 1 I didn't have to think about it when playing - it just worked on an intuitive level.
I'm still having this problem in March 2020 (over four years later) with Push 2 and Ableton Live 10.1.19. Most of the time I can just press the current pad a little harder and aftertouch triggers as expected, but sometimes it will not trigger until I do exactly as you described — let up on the pad until I've almost released it, then try pressing again. I usually play keys, so it's not that big a deal, but I thought I'd give the pads a whirl with some different scales to see if it helps break me out of some of my usual phrases that are burned into muscle memory.

I assume there's some kind of heuristic in place to avoid sending unwanted channel pressure data all the time, and I'm glad that's there (otherwise it would be polluting all my clips with unwanted MIDI events), but it's still doing the wrong thing sometimes. I have no doubt it's a tricky problem to solve, but if they want to keep driving this narrative that Push is an "instrument" and not just a controller, it has to become a competent one. Aftertouch never, ever fails on a real keyboard. Not even a cheap one like the Arturia KeyStep.

Perhaps a different combination of pad settings would help? I'm currently using 8/6/7.