How to organize imported files of Ableton Sampler?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
klangsulfat

How to organize imported files of Ableton Sampler?

Post by klangsulfat » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:32 pm

I have been using Ableton Sampler for a few days now and I am very happy with this instrument. I have already created some multisamples from samples of other libraries.

Unfortunately, there's one point that bothers me: Sampler automatically copies all new samples into a single folder called "Imported". Since the original samples are not always named meaningfully, chaos can quickly occur in this folder.

I wonder if/how to organize these files better. Is there a trick to get Live to automatically create subfolders with the preset's name? Or can I use "Manage Files" to clean up the folder "Imported"?

I would be very happy about tips and tricks on this topic :D

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: How to organize imported files of Ableton Sampler?

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:43 am

You can create folders anywhere in your user library (anywhere else, but please do it in your user lib.) and put your samples there.
The important thing is that you need to move them from e.g the "Imported" folder to your custom one from within Live's Browser, otherwise Live won't be able to know where the files moved and you'll have to deal with the "manage library/files".

It neglected to seriously analyse the way Live manages files for years and it was obviously a stupid thing...
Just take 2 hours, sit in front of Live, open the manual maybe, and really learn how the files management work (audio, presets, clips... just moving them and observe what happens in Live and in the Finder/Explorer and do it the other way around), that's actually one the of most important aspect of using a software that only... deals with files. You just need to study this once and you should never ever lost a file.

One more important tip: go to Live's Preferences and set the "collect files on export" to "ask" or "always".
I prefer "ask" because I don't want duplicates all over the place and I know where things are and go, but if you want to be on the safe side then select "always".
Ableton Forum Moderator

klangsulfat

Post by klangsulfat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:38 pm

Thanks for your tips. In the meantime I have found my preferred solution: Before importing new multisamples into Sampler, I copy the source samples into appropriate folders located within the User Library. Then they stay there after the import.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm

klangsulfat wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:38 pm
Thanks for your tips. In the meantime I have found my preferred solution: Before importing new multisamples into Sampler, I copy the source samples into appropriate folders located within the User Library. Then they stay there after the import.
Yep, that's a good technic.
Ableton Forum Moderator

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:49 am

Nice. Wish I had thought of it. I may have a go at redoing them.