More powerful editing!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Dallon426

More powerful editing!

Post by Dallon426 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:55 pm

This is a must for any modern DAW easily edit volume audio etc!

https://youtu.be/QBdmKWF4tx0?t=301

jonljacobi

Re: More powerful editing!

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:55 pm

You can do it just as easily, ore more easily in Ableton. Double-click and change the gain in detail view. It's not labeled, but it's just to the right of the transpose knob. Keep in mind that the arranger is primarily for live performance and I'm guessing they don't want to risk accidentally changing the volume of a clip.

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:35 pm

It does it for the whole track, even if I split it.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:16 pm

Consolidate the clips after splitting one at a time. Then they will be discrete clips and individually adjustable. Splitting initially just creates a set of loop markers. This can actually be handy in many circumstances, but it takes some getting used to.

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:31 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:16 pm
Consolidate the clips after splitting one at a time. Then they will be discrete clips and individually adjustable. Splitting initially just creates a set of loop markers. This can actually be handy in many circumstances, but it takes some getting used to.

See what I'm saying? This should be two steps. Highlight a zone and have a keyboard shortcut for gain increase or gain reduction. If Ableton stepped up it's intuitive features and at least gave us more options for editing .. I think it would be more powerful. I often find myself scratching my head trying to do some very basic things.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:31 pm

I don't use Live for performance, but whenever I find something I don't like or understand, I try to imagine why it is implemented the way it is with performance in mind, and I usually find the answer. Not always to be sure. As it stands, in detail view you can drag the loop markers which define the clip about the entire performance which does have it's uses. Comping for one.

Forgive me, but you sound like you're kind of new to the program. I fought it for a couple of years, and then I just started to go with the flow and now stuff like that is so reflexive, that I don't even think about it.

Not that I don't think that Ableton could implement a whole lot of options that would make life easier for those who don't use it for live performance. I wouldn't care if I had to edit a text file to get the features I'd like to see, but as I said, I've stopped worrying about it so much.

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:00 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:31 pm
I don't use Live for performance, but whenever I find something I don't like or understand, I try to imagine why it is implemented the way it is with performance in mind, and I usually find the answer. Not always to be sure. As it stands, in detail view you can drag the loop markers which define the clip about the entire performance which does have it's uses. Comping for one.

Forgive me, but you sound like you're kind of new to the program. I fought it for a couple of years, and then I just started to go with the flow and now stuff like that is so reflexive, that I don't even think about it.

Not that I don't think that Ableton could implement a whole lot of options that would make life easier for those who don't use it for live performance. I wouldn't care if I had to edit a text file to get the features I'd like to see, but as I said, I've stopped worrying about it so much.
Yes I have used cubase for about 15 years and wanted a change. I love a lot of features in Ableton and I think it is a great program. But it does need some work. Especially since it is a DAW. It should have a powerful feature set. IMO it is more advanced that cubase for quick on the fly music making. I use it for more than just beats. I make folk rock, indie and all sorts. But, I do enjoy using something other than Cubase.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:03 pm

I used Cubase and Nuendo for years. Back when it was a stack of Windows. Moved to Studio One when it came out because of that, but it kept piling on more and more features in an ad hoc fashion and the tiny icons and endless menus finally drove me away. I started in Live and it was frustrating to say the least though I found it quick for my main needs. I then tried Logic for about a year, but there again I felt like I was constantly searching for what I wanted and found it, for want of a better word, finicky. I finally moved back to Live, and spent about a day watching videos and going "Aha!" a lot. As I said, once I stopped fighting it, I really began to enjoy it. In spots it's insanely clever, assuming that actually meant to do some of the stuff they did.

I wrote an article on it that you might find interesting or enlightening. https://jonljacobi.com/things-you-might ... eton-live/

Yeah, most are workarounds, but they can be curiously satisfying and pretty fast once you're used to them. I used to long for comping lanes, now I wouldn't trade this inline approach. That said, Ableton could certainly streamline the process. I'm not sure why the company is so loathe to go that last 10% that would make Live truly traditional studio friendly.

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:34 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:03 pm
I used Cubase and Nuendo for years. Back when it was a stack of Windows. Moved to Studio One when it came out because of that, but it kept piling on more and more features in an ad hoc fashion and the tiny icons and endless menus finally drove me away. I started in Live and it was frustrating to say the least though I found it quick for my main needs. I then tried Logic for about a year, but there again I felt like I was constantly searching for what I wanted and found it, for want of a better word, finicky. I finally moved back to Live, and spent about a day watching videos and going "Aha!" a lot. As I said, once I stopped fighting it, I really began to enjoy it. In spots it's insanely clever, assuming that actually meant to do some of the stuff they did.

I wrote an article on it that you might find interesting or enlightening. https://jonljacobi.com/things-you-might ... eton-live/

Yeah, most are workarounds, but they can be curiously satisfying and pretty fast once you're used to them. I used to long for comping lanes, now I wouldn't trade this inline approach. That said, Ableton could certainly streamline the process. I'm not sure why the company is so loathe to go that last 10% that would make Live truly traditional studio friendly.
I appreciate your help and feedback with all of this. Thanks so much!