Macbook Pro 2019 16 inch fan noise with Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scheffkoch

Re: Macbook Pro 2019 16 inch fan noise with Ableton

Post by scheffkoch » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:45 am

...have you also tested to reduce live‘s framerate?...that had an huge impact on my processing power...before i got problems over 35% on ableton‘s cpu meter, now i don‘t have any problems when performing with a load of 55/60% according to live‘s meter...6 core i7 mbp here...
however...the problems seem to be related to ableton‘s gpu consumption i reckon...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

aktivomat

Post by aktivomat » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:45 pm

[jur] wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:42 pm
fedesilvaponte wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:53 pm
Having the same issue.

Can't use the switch GPU option because I'm using an external monitor. The reset SMC option didn't help either.
And how is it going when only using the laptop's screen?

In any case, please report to support@ableton.com with your detailed setup; we need as much info as possible to tackle this down.
I already contacted the support and here the answer (auto-translation from German):
The problem is a fundamental one and affects pretty much all new mobile computers with powerful high-core count (HCC) CPUs and dedicated graphics cards. It can be divided into two sub-issues:

1. many third party plugins and also some Max for Live devices use Metal (Apple's graphics API) to compute the interface If this is the case, the operating system automatically switches to the dedicated graphics card. This generates much more heat than an integrated GPU.

2. processor performance and also speed stepping and turbo boost is controlled at hardware and operating system level.
All HCC processors are not really designed for live audio applications.
In other words, Live needs the highest possible permanent single-thread performance. However, the processors are designed to distribute many threads over many cores with an overall low moderate load.
No current notebook provides enough cooling power to ensure that one or more cores can run at maximum frequency for long periods of time.
Nevertheless, these computers are sold that way.

Apple has addressed this problem with the latest generation of Macbooks and has significantly improved cooling performance.
I have tested this myself with a colleague and was surprised how well it runs compared to my 2017 macbook (despite HCC CPU).

However, the Intel processors built in by Apple are not really suitable for full use in a mobile computer without good cooling. This is physically and technically not possible at the moment.

I therefore believe that you can't really get around these fan noises.
BUT:
1. Why Ableton heat up my machine (in my case a MacBook Pro 15'' mid 2018) to 75 - 80°C in the moment I start Ableton without any further interaction and no CPU-usage?
2. Furthermore I purchased extra an external eGPU in the hope this helps. But no changes.

The only solution in the moment for me is to use "Turbo Boost Switcher" and everything's fine. At the moment I'm ok with this because no actual project seems to require the Turbo Boost. But I think this should not be the final solution...

frabo

Post by frabo » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:36 pm

... no !

only the automated response ....

:-(

aktivomat wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:11 pm
frabo wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:18 pm
...yes, I will
Did you get any answer from support?

shortshortshortlong

Post by shortshortshortlong » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:57 pm

michaeljra wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:50 pm
shazbot79 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:19 pm
Hello, I think I know why this might happening. Basically any DAW kicks in the dedicated graphics card which in turn makes the fan spin after a few minutes on this model, I have had mine since the 4th Dec 2019. Great machine but this was starting to annoy me. Install gSwitch by Cody Shrank and select integrated and voila. Your fans will not spin up as quickly and the battery will last longer. I'm still not happy at having to do this but I genuinely do not think Apple will fix this. If I browse, email word etc this machine is whisper quiet. Fire up Live, FL or Logic and it really takes. I feel your pain, but gSwitch works. :D

https://codyschrank.github.io/gSwitch/
Does this work with an external display? I have the LG 27” 5k monitor attached to my 2019 16” MBP. Fan noise makes it almost impossible to work.
Did you ever find a solution for this? There's also an app that will allow you to adjust fan curves so that the macbook pro will run quieter but hotter when connected to an external 5k display. But I don't want to buy a new macbook and monitor, then try the app out just to find it is not quiet enough for my preferences.

This solution apple came up with, to optimize for temps to please the normals out there without having an option of setting it to quiet/performance, is really quite annoying as musicians buy macs for a reason.

The only solution I can think of is to buy a long usb c cable, put the macbook in another room or closet, and hope nothing goes wrong.

johidi

Post by johidi » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:41 am

shortshortshortlong wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:57 pm
michaeljra wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:50 pm
shazbot79 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:19 pm
Hello, I think I know why this might happening. Basically any DAW kicks in the dedicated graphics card which in turn makes the fan spin after a few minutes on this model, I have had mine since the 4th Dec 2019. Great machine but this was starting to annoy me. Install gSwitch by Cody Shrank and select integrated and voila. Your fans will not spin up as quickly and the battery will last longer. I'm still not happy at having to do this but I genuinely do not think Apple will fix this. If I browse, email word etc this machine is whisper quiet. Fire up Live, FL or Logic and it really takes. I feel your pain, but gSwitch works. :D

https://codyschrank.github.io/gSwitch/
Does this work with an external display? I have the LG 27” 5k monitor attached to my 2019 16” MBP. Fan noise makes it almost impossible to work.
Did you ever find a solution for this? There's also an app that will allow you to adjust fan curves so that the macbook pro will run quieter but hotter when connected to an external 5k display. But I don't want to buy a new macbook and monitor, then try the app out just to find it is not quiet enough for my preferences.

This solution apple came up with, to optimize for temps to please the normals out there without having an option of setting it to quiet/performance, is really quite annoying as musicians buy macs for a reason.

The only solution I can think of is to buy a long usb c cable, put the macbook in another room or closet, and hope nothing goes wrong.
Also, looking for solutions here. same issues as everyone and the fans are so annoying to record vocals.

frabo

Post by frabo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:37 am

I bought a egpu solution as well and it doesn't change.

And maybe I have to say it again, I doubt that has something to do with apple or osx in this case. It is easy to say the fault is by the os.
All I can say, in my experience, I run some protools-sessions with a lot of plugin-processing and connected to the same external monitor.
And my Macbook pro runs much quieter than a blank session in Ableton !
Thats, why I believe it is a Ableton fault.

What, why and how to solve it, is not my or our question. And I really don't want to use such a dangerous software like gSwitch - where I'm really afraid to burn down my mac without any guaranty....

Ableton, please, it's your turn ...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:47 pm

frabo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:37 am

And maybe I have to say it again, I doubt that has something to do with apple or osx in this case. It is easy to say the fault is by the os.
All I can say, in my experience, I run some protools-sessions with a lot of plugin-processing and connected to the same external monitor.

What, why and how to solve it, is not my or our question. And I really don't want to use such a dangerous software like gSwitch - where I'm really afraid to burn down my mac without any guaranty....

Unfortunately, the quoted support answer doesn't look like Ableton is trying to blame someone else. To me it sounds like a statement, an annoying one, but a real one.
Ableton Forum Moderator

johidi

Post by johidi » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:08 pm

I was wondering if installing it on parallels will make it run better. I'm going to try installing it on parallels and see if it runs the same or not. If it runs better on parallels then it'll be obvious that Live is not well optimized for mac.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:12 am

johidi wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:08 pm
obvious
I hope you don't mean "scientific". :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

johidi

Post by johidi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:00 pm

Setup bootcamp and tried Live. The fan kicked in faster actually. Windows from what I am reading can't switch between two GPUs, so it's using the Radeon Pro from the start. I think it comes down to apple wanting to make these laptops thin and the lack of airflow is shooting up the fans like crazy. I guess we gotta live with it

shortshortshortlong

Post by shortshortshortlong » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:57 pm

frabo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:37 am

An apple/mac youtube channel did a video on this and the 16 inch macbook pros are tuned to optimize for performance/cooling and not silence.

To my understanding gswitch doesnt risk burning your mac, you’re probably thinking of another app that changes the fan curves but do your own research and don’t blame me

Also, logic was more optimized on the macbook than ableton last time I checked
Last edited by shortshortshortlong on Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

shortshortshortlong

Post by shortshortshortlong » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:01 am

johidi wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:00 pm
Setup bootcamp and tried Live. The fan kicked in faster actually. Windows from what I am reading can't switch between two GPUs, so it's using the Radeon Pro from the start. I think it comes down to apple wanting to make these laptops thin and the lack of airflow is shooting up the fans like crazy. I guess we gotta live with it
Windows is tuned for the normals out there who want performance

They actually fixed the lack of airflow in the 16 by changing the heat sink design and ramping up the fans. It’s possible to install an app and have a different fan curve to make it quieter. Reportedly 75c is ok for a computer to run at but do your own research

I much prefer the laptop form factor so i just might install those three apps (fan curve adjustment, disable turbo boost, gswitch) and live with something less than an imac quality display.

Its annoying shrug

johidi

Post by johidi » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:39 am

shortshortshortlong wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:01 am
johidi wrote:
Windows is tuned for the normals out there who want performance

They actually fixed the lack of airflow in the 16 by changing the heat sink design and ramping up the fans. It’s possible to install an app and have a different fan curve to make it quieter. Reportedly 75c is ok for a computer to run at but do your own research

I much prefer the laptop form factor so i just might install those three apps (fan curve adjustment, disable turbo boost, gswitch) and live with something less than an imac quality display.

Its annoying shrug
I actually have the 2018 fully hooked up macbook pro. So, I'm probably on the shittier end because that's when they had the i9 issue. I honestly regret buying it over windows now because I mainly use Ableton on this and light browsing. The noise is so freaking annoying and I've tried every solution possible with no difference. Logic runs perfectly fine unless I have a lot of tracks running with VSTs and stuff. But, ableton kicks in fans way earlier then if I were to do similar project in Logic. I'm too scared to install those apps and overheat. I do have Gswitch downloaded, is it supposed to be on default settings of dynamic switching?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:28 am

johidi wrote:
I think it comes down to apple wanting to make these laptops thin and the lack of airflow is shooting up the fans like crazy. I guess we gotta live with it
That's exactly what's said in the quoted support answer...
Ableton Forum Moderator

aktivomat

Post by aktivomat » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:01 am

johidi wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:39 am
I actually have the 2018 fully hooked up macbook pro. So, I'm probably on the shittier end because that's when they had the i9 issue. I honestly regret buying it over windows now because I mainly use Ableton on this and light browsing. The noise is so freaking annoying and I've tried every solution possible with no difference. Logic runs perfectly fine unless I have a lot of tracks running with VSTs and stuff. But, ableton kicks in fans way earlier then if I were to do similar project in Logic. I'm too scared to install those apps and overheat. I do have Gswitch downloaded, is it supposed to be on default settings of dynamic switching?
I'm in the same situation as you are (2018 MacBook with i9). But with Turbo Boost Switcher it's almost perfect. I never missed the Turbo Boost, yet. So my advice would be to give this tool a try. It's for free and with this tool you really don't have to be scared because of overheat. This tool even holds your MacBook a lot cooler! And quieter!