Macbook Pro 2019 16 inch fan noise with Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spanktron

Re: Macbook Pro 2019 16 inch fan noise with Ableton

Post by spanktron » Tue May 05, 2020 12:00 pm

If it is graphics related an external eGpu via thunderbolt should solve your problems?

LQdb.Music

Post by LQdb.Music » Tue May 05, 2020 3:43 pm

spanktron wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:00 pm
If it is graphics related an external eGpu via thunderbolt should solve your problems?
To a certain degree: yes, buuut you have to make sure, that macOS AND all apps, e.g. Live are using the eGPU only (not so easy in macOS), to avoid thermal build up and the eGPU works over thunderbolt port, so expect even higher temp on that internal chips aswell. Extra money for the eGPU enclosure and proper gfx card, not to forget :)
--
Live 10 w/ Push 2, Logic Pro X, S1 4, MOTU m4, Mac mini i7, Win10 Core i7 9700K/32GB/Asus TB3, KH120, Focal Alpha, this n that

fedesilvaponte

Post by fedesilvaponte » Thu May 07, 2020 10:09 pm

I don't have this issue using Studio One on the same machine, so, the answer from Ableton support is not satisfying to me. If it where a problem with the machine it would happen also on Studio One. I know it's not easy for them to admit there's something wrong with the optimization of the program, but don't blame others at least.

LQdb.Music

Post by LQdb.Music » Thu May 07, 2020 11:08 pm

fedesilvaponte wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:09 pm
I don't have this issue using Studio One on the same machine, so, the answer from Ableton support is not satisfying to me. If it where a problem with the machine it would happen also on Studio One. I know it's not easy for them to admit there's something wrong with the optimization of the program, but don't blame others at least.
I had intenstive session with the apple support the last couple of days and to show them the temp. problem, i just open up Ableton 2-3 tracks with internal instruments and weeee of the fans go :)

It is both, an unholy combination of MBP 16" operating on the edge temp-wise even with CPUs mostly IDLE around AND Ableton triggering the dedicated GPU quite hard, I guess for HiDPI-Interface and GUI Scaling and Stuff. Both aspects pushes the MBP over the edge and the fans kicking in to the max.

Logic Pro X and Studio One not so much, they won't trigger die dedicated GPU that much, like Ableton does.
Logic Pro X, Studio One 4.6.1, idle 1 track loaded, not playback maybe GPU: 5-6 watts (according to iStats), that's the same with my 4k monitor w/o any DAW loaded, so almost NO impact on GPU
Ableton 2 midi track loaded, idle not playback: 12-13 watts, 100% GUI scale, and with playback 25 watts
--
Live 10 w/ Push 2, Logic Pro X, S1 4, MOTU m4, Mac mini i7, Win10 Core i7 9700K/32GB/Asus TB3, KH120, Focal Alpha, this n that

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Fri May 08, 2020 6:06 am

I use an old mid-2012 macbook pro, running an i7 on Mojave.

It can become quite hot and fan can spin loudly on heavy sessions (and I know it comes mainly from the graphic card, not only from the CPU), but with 2 or 3 plugins and running Live for some time (for exemple playing some exercices on my keyboard with a piano loaded in Kontakt and low latency), it's still ok and I don't hear the fan.

How is it possible that Apple still didn't manage the heat issue on 3k$ machines ?
My laptop is getting old, and I feel more and more the CPU limits (my mixing sessions are more and more heavy I must say).
I was thinking to invest in the last macbook 16 inches, but I see that they still didn't solve the heat issue that started few years ago, and it's just crazy at this price range.

Did you try to force the laptop to use the dedicated graphic card via the preferences or is it necessary to use a third party app ?
What should be the best macbook pro model for audio work with no such heat issues ?

LQdb.Music

Post by LQdb.Music » Fri May 08, 2020 8:21 am

Calagan wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:06 am
I use an old mid-2012 macbook pro, running an i7 on Mojave.

It can become quite hot and fan can spin loudly on heavy sessions (and I know it comes mainly from the graphic card, not only from the CPU), but with 2 or 3 plugins and running Live for some time (for exemple playing some exercices on my keyboard with a piano loaded in Kontakt and low latency), it's still ok and I don't hear the fan.

How is it possible that Apple still didn't manage the heat issue on 3k$ machines ?
My laptop is getting old, and I feel more and more the CPU limits (my mixing sessions are more and more heavy I must say).
I was thinking to invest in the last macbook 16 inches, but I see that they still didn't solve the heat issue that started few years ago, and it's just crazy at this price range.

Did you try to force the laptop to use the dedicated graphic card via the preferences or is it necessary to use a third party app ?
What should be the best macbook pro model for audio work with no such heat issues ?
With an external monitor connected the macOS switches to the dedicated gfx card automatically, you can't do anything about it. This is due to the thunderbolt build concept. Via preferences you can force to use the dedicated gfx card only, but who wants that :) Like turning the heating on full on a sunny day :)

Maybe we have to wait until Apple switches the CPU manufacturer. There a signs that they will use their own CPU in future in MacBook Air etc.
These CPUs come with dedicated performance cores, which are not running in lower demanding sitautions. Or maybe they go with the new AMD Ryzen Mobile CPUs, don't know.

Apple has defo gone the wrong way, after the "cpu-throttle-gate" scandal. WIth some fan-software tricks they maintain the max boost, so the reviewers benchmark looks all nice. But in real life use cases, the thermals are not good in any way, with CPU AND GPU AND Thunderbolt-only ports. IMHO
--

Jed

Post by Jed » Sun May 10, 2020 8:00 pm

Has anyone tried the 2019 or 2020 MBP 13 inch model as it has no built in dedicated (discrete) GPU? Particularly when running an external monitor.

I run my older 15inch MPB with the GPU hard switched to integrated, and it runs Live10 fine with no GPU heating (unless I connect an external monitor where the dedicated GPU must be used).

So I wonder what a modern 13inch MPB would run Ableton like - powerful i7 8th or 10 gen CPU and no dedicated GPU to create the heat and therefore fan noise.

I'd really like to hear from anyone thats tried this as Im seriously considering this route.

Cheers
Jed

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue May 12, 2020 10:46 am

Ableton Forum Moderator

fedesilvaponte

Post by fedesilvaponte » Thu May 14, 2020 1:29 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:46 am
Maybe worth trying to charge it from a port on the right-hand side?
I've tried this... I cannot confirm this fixes the issue entirely but it seems to handle the heat better this way, specially when ableton is running with only a couple of instruments. It's weird but it seems to improve things a bit.

I'm still arguing that studio one doesn't have this issue, even with many instruments and plugins running though.

LQdb.Music

Post by LQdb.Music » Sat May 16, 2020 11:17 am

fedesilvaponte wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:29 pm
It's weird but it seems to improve things a bit.

I'm still arguing that studio one doesn't have this issue, even with many instruments and plugins running though.
It's easy to explain, the voltage regulator is located on the right side of the MBP 16", so charging it on the right side seem to be the "direct" way.
--

redlake

Post by redlake » Sat May 23, 2020 11:25 pm

I had the same issue with my 2019 16" MBP. For me, the Turbo Boost Switcher did the trick. Tried the gSwitch approach first, that one didn't work. But the Turbo Boost disabling finally made my MBP nearly absolutely silent. Very relieved that the noise finally disappeared.

brianuyu

Post by brianuyu » Tue May 26, 2020 7:07 am

this is super disappointing.... had to replace my 2017 macbook because of a really bad case of the 'flex-gate.' now my brand new 2019 macbook can barely run a single track on a project before having the fans on blast!!!! opened up a new project with no other apps running, using a single track w/ Kontakt and the fans are already doing its thing.... I might have to return this junk if I cant find a solution :x

Grandz22

Post by Grandz22 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:52 am

I have the same problem. smh. its definitely an Ableton thing. One thing I noticed though is when you increase the buffer size it helps.

I have been using FL studio instead for the past month and I haven't had any fan issues.

I couldn't take the fan noise anymore, and Ableton was actually running slow sometimes on top of that. So I was forced to use FL, but now that Im using it, I actually prefer it. What smoother overall better experience.

WilmarBoer

Post by WilmarBoer » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:11 pm

redlake wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:25 pm
I had the same issue with my 2019 16" MBP. For me, the Turbo Boost Switcher did the trick. Tried the gSwitch approach first, that one didn't work. But the Turbo Boost disabling finally made my MBP nearly absolutely silent. Very relieved that the noise finally disappeared.
How do you disable Turbo Boost on an MBP?
----
Making music is my hobby
Corporate photography is my passion: https://www.beeldvoerders.nl/bedrijfsfotografie

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:57 pm

If you are part of our beta testing process, there is a new beta which has some changes that we would like help testing regarding fan noise:

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 704E445151}