Launchpad mk2, Launchpad mini mk3 or iPad for just launching clips? Is the mini too small?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mr.ergonomics

Launchpad mk2, Launchpad mini mk3 or iPad for just launching clips? Is the mini too small?

Post by mr.ergonomics » Sun May 10, 2020 8:12 pm

I have Push but I need a second session view. I really care only about launching clips in session view.

Due to Corona it's difficult to go to a store and try them.

Does anybody have experience with the Launchpad mini just for launching clips is busy live situations (currently at home of course)? The small form factor would be perfect. But my fear is that It's too error prone with this small pads with not much space between them. That I trigger unwanted clips or need to be very careful. I remember that I've briefly tried the older mk2 mini and the pads were smaller than I expected. I guess the pads and space between them is unchanged for the mini mk3?

The normal Launchpad mk2 could be an alternative at a similar price. As I don't need sensitive pads the mk2 seems not to have any disadvantages compared to the Launchpad X, hasn't it?

The other alternative is of course an iPad, which could be handy for other things too . That's why I'm ok to pay more. But I'm not sure how well an touchscreen works in busy live situations to trigger clips with one hand while the other hands is turning knobs?

Would be very happy to hear about the experiences of others.