Stream deck

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Greenapples2019

Stream deck

Post by Greenapples2019 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:23 am

Hi all, has anyone used Stream Deck with Ableton? There's a couple of videos on YT but not much: I think it allows you to build macros combining CC messages and keyboard shortcuts so that you can do more complex processes with one button than you can with a midi controller. Seems it would be useful to speed up workflow but also when playing live. Any experience?

Thanks in advance, and stay safe everyone.

Darren

passionmax

Re: Stream deck

Post by passionmax » Tue May 12, 2020 3:04 am

I have it. It is amazing. I have all my buttons controlling many elements. I use keyboard maestro to set up macro because it’s a little easier then streamdecks app. But I love That you can have a picture for each button representing the command you are trying to perform. Totally worth it and not just for Ableton. Safari, email etc works great too.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:47 am

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad you like it so much. I've started playing around with Keyboard Maestro and you're right, it's great, I've automated the opening of Ableton, getting the right file, setting prefs etc., I can really see how it would work well with Stream Deck. I've looked at Touch Portal too but having to connect over wifi rules it out for gigging.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue May 12, 2020 11:31 pm

I use stream deck for a large range of things and have used almost every type of similar option in the past. A similar app for iPad is "Metagrid" which works great but is cumbersome to setup actions. It also replaces the custom button actions I setup on my MCU to do a lot of Ableton specific shortcuts (like split/consolidate, loop region, adjust grid etc).

I like the fact Stream Deck has physical buttons which is great when using it without looking, you can get a feel for where buttons are. I have a decent map for Ableton Live and almost every application and shortcut I need and it's been super stable for the last 6 months. I purchased the XL version after eyeing off the standard one for years (just didn't have enough buttons for my liking) after xmas when I was able to get one at 60% off which I think the seller (EB Games in Australia) made a bit of a mistake on the cost because it was quickly readjusted not long after. I have found it so useful I almost want a second one dedicated to specific tasks.

I also have many scripts to do the same kinds of things but I use AutoItv3 as opposed to AHK just because I prefer the programming language in it.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:52 am

That’s really good to know that it’s so stable, and well done on sticking it to the man with 60% off, that must have made it cheaper than the std one. My std SD arrives today and it’s free as I convinced my partner she needs one to automate things she does on excel, mail etc and in return I’ll write the macros for her.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:01 pm

I just got an XL today am really impressed with it. Still a lot to learn, but set up some simple macros and have it automatically switching to different profiles for different DAWS which is very useful...no need to remember all of those sht/ctr/key combos anymore! It looks really cool as well 8) I have it butted up against a standard keyboard and it just feels and looks right.

I am playing with the little midi API, seems very useful, I have been able to add a MUTE to my main mixer and being bale to integrate hardware and software is very useful. I would love to see some more advanced integration (feedback from Live in the buttons) - lets hope someone good with MAX gets one :D
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:39 am

I'm also really impressed Sean, I've set up a couple of different profiles for Ableton within SD: one for practising/playing around and another for when we gig again (eventually!). I've used hotkey switches to open/close things like preferences/returns/sends/plug-ins and then some midi commands to go direct to particular scenes in Live. I've then written some Keyboard Maestro macros to automate opening Live and setting it up how I want it. SD and Keyboard Maestro are both incredibly reliable and worth it just for Live as well, but I'm using both in lots of different apps/programs now. Happy to share ideas etc if you want.

Cheers

Darren

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:44 am

I bought this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf-ZNee ... =emb_title

but it seems like this is only for Windows.

Does anyone know of a Mac template for Stream Deck for Ableton Live?

Seems like something where once someone makes one it would be useful for many, I would definitely pay for one rather than setting this all up from scratch. If anyone has worked on one, let me know.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:48 pm

Looks interesting, I've done something that handles the things I need automated, but that's very bespoke and quite simple. I wouldn't fancy doing the programming to cater for every possibility though!