Camel Audio Alchemy in LIve 10- W- 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tintala

Camel Audio Alchemy in LIve 10- W- 10

Post by tintala » Sun May 31, 2020 5:53 pm

Does anyone else use Camel Audio Alchemy in Live 10 on W10? I've run into the issue of Alchemy and LIVE not being to find the DATA FOLDER, so it asks me each time on boot in Live to find the folder. Ive pointed Alchemy Inside of LIve to the correct path, yet it still will not keep that path. Does anyone know about this or have a remedy/ suggestion?

W-10 pro
Live 10.1.9

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Camel Audio Alchemy in LIve 10- W- 10

Post by [jur] » Sun May 31, 2020 10:00 pm

Is Alchemy 64bit?
Ableton Forum Moderator

tintala

Post by tintala » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:21 pm

Im not sure its 64 bit, but it worked in w7 64 bit. It works in w10 it just wont retain the Data folder file path on initiation of Live, so each time i have to point to the path.

annadyne

Post by annadyne » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:36 pm

Still using Alchemy 1.55 64-bit in Live 10.x.

Only problem is that when saving custom presets I am sure to direct Alchemy to put them in its 'consolidate' format AND in my specific User folder so that it can find my custom samples and waveforms when re-loading. I keep the preset and samples in same place. It's not good at auto-locating things that are out of its folder architecture.

EDIT: Sorry just saw that you're on Windows! I'm on Mac.
Not sure what to say about it not finding the Data Folder.
Do you know if it's trying to find the folder somewhere else?

FWIW Alchemy was way ahead of its time and is very sweet on CPU so my old laptop can still run multiple instances well.
So many of the sounds I've made have found their way onto cd, vinyl and cassette (cool but LoL) , it's hard to imagine my sound-design world without it. New sampler-synths with fancy GUIs choke out my computer.

annadyne

Post by annadyne » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:49 pm

Are you able to open it in Live 9 and get it to correctly locate the Data folder?

tintala

Post by tintala » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:25 pm

I’m on Live 10 not 9 . Also I’ve tried to move the data folder to many different places in the hierarchy, at first it seems to have installed the folder to an incorrect level and won’t find it itself . I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalled but the data folder went by default to my “program data “ folder which is actually hidden so I’ve never seen that behavior . I also can’t imagine not having alchemy in my sets , I love the sound design and the presets / libraries .

I’m wondering does it install with a data folder that’s separate from the libraries? Considering moving the folder to the presets folder itself or are they one in the same ?

There is also the option of pointing the vst inside of live to a new location or folder path , I’ve tried this also .

annadyne

Post by annadyne » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:09 pm

Hi - I can't find a folder labeled Data on my Mac.
All the Alchemy files are in "Application Support" in the Library within another labeled "Camel Audio".

The Mac container equivalent of Windows Program Folder is "Applications", and there's a Camel Audio folder containing a only utility to load samples. Nothing else.

Can you try opening the VST in a different DAW or plugin host - maybe something free or a Demo of Cubase and seeing what happens?

I would mos def trying moving the Data Folder to the Alchemy Presets Folder.
Or within one of the specific preset folders.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:19 pm

Works fine here, Alchemy 1.55, Live 10.1.14, Win10 pro 1909, all X64.

classified-the-x

Post by classified-the-x » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:56 pm

try switching your data folder and possibly alchemy vst folder to readable, they might be read-only and stopping the vst from writing settings. in my end alchemy needs to write some files including: Alchemy_Preset_Ratings_And_Tags

H-sunrise

Post by H-sunrise » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:32 pm

tintala wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:53 pm
Does anyone else use Camel Audio Alchemy in Live 10 on W10? I've run into the issue of Alchemy and LIVE not being to find the DATA FOLDER, so it asks me each time on boot in Live to find the folder. Ive pointed Alchemy Inside of LIve to the correct path, yet it still will not keep that path. Does anyone know about this or have a remedy/ suggestion?

W-10 pro
Live 10.1.9
Hello,
I've been trying to make alchemy work since I upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10, but it makes ableton crash on startup while scanning the vsts...This happens with both 32 and 64 bit version of live. I'm using live 9.7, and before it used to work fine on win 8 + live 9.7,

could you tell me a bit more about your configuration ? I'm wondering how come it works (at least it's loading fine) on your configuration. It's made me a bit desperate since this is for sure my favorite vst and one of main sound design tool :/ I would even consider getting live 11, just to have alchemy works...Any updates on that from anyone ?

Thanx :)

tintala

Post by tintala » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:48 pm

Yeah Alchemy is weird with Live 10 and w-10. For some reason when Live indexes at startup it wouldnt open my Alchemy data folder, so I had to point it to the right path each time. Something eventually happened, and I dont know what, but Live stopped asking me for the data folder, only when I add alchemy to a midi track it would it ask me for the folder, but now it stopped and has finally indexed it. I have the folder in my custom VST folder that Live scans .I also love Alchemy and it has been a great vst.