Live 9/32bit Update for Stem Export?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Live 9/32bit Update for Stem Export?

Post by ze2be » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:37 pm

Dear Ableton!

Can we have a Live 9/32bit update that can export Selected Tracks and include Sends like Live 10?

I have a ton of old Live 32bit projects (approx 40, from 2008 to 2018, mostly released) that id like to export 8 stems from, each, to create live sets. Up until now I have mostly been DJing it, with some synth on the side. I would like to take the next step now and get a dedicated Ableton controller or two.

Its currently a massive amount of work exporting individual stems from Live 9/32bit. It would take me weeks, and eat up mix/production/performance/mastering time. Its 8 separate full project length stem exports for each project to get all the send fx included with the individual stems.

If we could have a Live 9 update that simply added the export functions of Live 10, it would be an order of magnitude faster and more easy to accomplish this.

Im sure there are a lot of producers with similar situations!

Regards,
Kim

Tone Deft

Re: Live 9/32bit Update for Stem Export?

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:44 pm

Live 10 is free for 3 months right now.
https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/

IMO from a business model there's no way an engineering team would spend time to code up and support a feature that wouldn't bring in new revenue, in fact it would take away from new revenue from Live 10 sales. it's a losing proposition.

or use a different DAW with a fresh mindset, you'll figure it out. :?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Hey Tone!
(seen you for years and years here)

Yeah, I know, and I bought Live 10 on the day it was released!

You can not open 32bit projects in Live 10, that's the whole thing about this post! :)

I have no idea how much time it would take them, or if it is even possible, to add the export functions from 10 to 9. Im simply asking the question. But im sure im not alone with having tons of RELEASED tracks existing in 32 bit only. And for us it would be a great help, and it would also lead some of us to purchase Ableton controllers, if we could export stems of old tracks efficiently. (I would imagine just adding sends to selected tracks in the export menu cant be that hard, but im not a programmer)

Most likely thousands of regular users would highly appreciate this, and it would further strengthen their potentially life long relationship with Live. Its a potential way around Jbridge for Ableton, and a way to easing on the 32bit to 64bit only transition.
Last edited by ze2be on Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:06 pm

You had years to move across to 64bit. Get over it, and move across, no way its going backwards.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:15 pm

ze2be wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:03 pm
Hey Tone!
(seen you for years and years here)
you too! always love what you have to say.
im sure im not alone with having tons of RELEASED tracks existing in 32 bit only. And for us it would be a great help, and it would also lead some of us to purchase Ableton controllers, if we could export stems of old tracks efficiently. (I would imagine just adding sends to selected tracks in the export menu cant be that hard, but im not a programmer)

Most likely thousands of regular users would highly appreciate this, and it would further strengthen their potentially life long relationship with Live. Its a potential way around Jbridge for Ableton, and a way to easing on the 32bit to 64bit only transition.
you make some great points. like you there are people that make money from music and have money to put back into musical gear. maybe a new thread polling users to gather more steam for your movement. some of us DO hold hope that Ableton keeps that loving feeling with their users and do what's best for the community because it pays off in the long run.

FWIW I've never really been bit by the 32/64 bit transition, just some VSTs that don't work anymore.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:48 pm

Not going to happen, put it this way Apple forced 64bit only onto their users in last OS by removing 32bit support. which meant all apps had to adapt to 64bit only, Ableton nor other DAWs or devs are going to go backwards and develop 32/64 for PC and 64 for mac only, makes perfect sense to not waste valuable resources and just do 64bit only across both platforms.

Face it, 64 bit only has been the way for quite a few years.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:06 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:48 pm
Apple forced
is Apple a good business model for treating customers? they squeeze every penny out of their users that they can.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:10 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:48 pm
Not going to happen, put it this way Apple forced 64bit only onto their users in last OS by removing 32bit support. which meant all apps had to adapt to 64bit only, Ableton nor other DAWs or devs are going to go backwards and develop 32/64 for PC and 64 for mac only, makes perfect sense to not waste valuable resources and just do 64bit only across both platforms.

Face it, 64 bit only has been the way for quite a few years.
To be clear, all im suggesting to add is this little thing in the export menu:

https://imgur.com/a/OfP6Wtj

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:19 pm

They already have, its called upgrade.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:22 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:06 pm

is Apple a good business model for treating customers? they squeeze every penny out of their users that they can.
Apple users had it coming lol... Overpriced & overhyped gear. :D

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:30 am

Mark Williams wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:19 pm
They already have, its called upgrade.
No, they have not made it easy to export stems from 32bit projects.

Instead of being so dismissive, cant you at least contribute with some constructive criticism?

Like for example suggesting Jbridge. Jbridge could solve this issue.

Has anyone here experience with Jbridge? Is it working well with all the old 32bit plugs in Live 10/64bit ?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:09 pm

You'll have to do it the old fashioned way: in L9 create a bunch of new audio tracks , one for each output stem.

route your various tracks & return tracks to the appropriate output stem track. arm them all and record them in real time. If you have return-track cross-contamination then you are going to have to do this render a few times with some selective muting.

Go to the project folder, grab those stems, which will all be 32 bit, and put them in a nice safe place. Take a break to punch yourself in the balls and say "I hate this", and then start the same process with the next track.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:19 pm

Hahah! Thanks Angstrom! :D

Good tip with re routing sends into new groups..

Cool thing with Live is how modular it is.

I might be able to re create and isolate the sends for each group.. Need to think about it.. Like you say, re routing the sends back to each group. Though they would bleed from other tracks.. Could maybe isolate them with side chain gates haha. :D

The 2 tracks in 32bit I have done stem exports from for now I have taken the time to copy all the fx from the sends to the individual tracks. Then it is possible to export all selected tracks seperatelly in one go, from Live 9/32bit.

Only issue is that it can take a good while to do it for each and every project.. And if there is send automation we are talking a couple of hours at least for every track.

To export each and every stem one by one I just dont have the patiance for that with 40+ tracks.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:58 pm

ze2be wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:19 pm
Hahah! Thanks Angstrom! :D

Good tip with re routing sends into new groups..

Cool thing with Live is how modular it is.

I might be able to re create and isolate the sends for each group.. Need to think about it.. Like you say, re routing the sends back to each group. Though they would bleed from other tracks.. Could maybe isolate them with side chain gates haha. :D

The 2 tracks in 32bit I have done stem exports from for now I have taken the time to copy all the fx from the sends to the individual tracks. Then it is possible to export all selected tracks seperatelly in one go, from Live 9/32bit.

Only issue is that it can take a good while to do it for each and every project.. And if there is send automation we are talking a couple of hours at least for every track.

To export each and every stem one by one I just dont have the patiance for that with 40+ tracks.
Patience is a virtue, one that you need to learn, want it done quicker, then upgrade. Or stay as you are and keep hoping lol..... As for Jbridge, well it can work, but it is not reliable enough in my experience with it.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:38 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:58 pm
Patience is a virtue, one that you need to learn, want it done quicker, then upgrade.
In that case both my patience and awarenes thrumps yours by far.

Clearly you do not have patience to read what I wrote here, nor awareness of the context.

I said I upgraded 2 years ago. You make no sence now. Seems to me you are just looking for a fight.. on a tech forum? If you dont have anything constructive to contribute with, then why bother at all.