MacBook Pro 16, Mac Mini or neither?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Pete from Bristol

MacBook Pro 16, Mac Mini or neither?

Post by Pete from Bristol » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Hi everyone!

My first post here as a new Ableton 10 user.

I'm running this amazing software on an old 2011 MacBook Pro and it seems to be coping okay, although I guess that might change as I get more ambitious with tracks, plug ins etc.

I was thinking anyway about upgrading for work. Was just wondering how people were finding the new MacBook Pro and Mac mini with Ableton.

I read some posts here about heat and fan noise being a problem with the pro. Is that a general experience or just from demanding professional users. I'm a total amateur!

I'm veering towards the Pro for portability reasons as we'll be traveling, but am really interested in what existing owners think. The alternative is windows 10 I guess, but I'm wary...

All the best and many thanks for any advice.

Pete

Tarekith

Re: MacBook Pro 16, Mac Mini or neither?

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Love my 16" Pro, best computer I've ever had by far. I'm a professional and DON'T have the fan noise that seems to bother some people, so it's not something that everyone who owns that laptop is dealing with.

Pete from Bristol

Post by Pete from Bristol » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:29 pm

Thanks for the reply and good to hear!

Pete

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:17 pm

iMac. More USB/TB sockets and bigger screen. Also reasonably portable for a "desktop", unless you need to be able to use batteries of course. Though DAWs chew through MBP batteries pretty fast - if I try running Logic on my 2014/5 i7 it even pops up a warning if the MBP isn't plugged in.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Pete from Bristol

Post by Pete from Bristol » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi,

Yes, I did consider that. Probably fine for ferry crossings but not so sure about jumping on a plane with it. I figure I could take a mini and pick up a monitor locally.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will think about it...

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Pete from Bristol wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:17 pm
Hi everyone!

My first post here as a new Ableton 10 user.

I'm running this amazing software on an old 2011 MacBook Pro and it seems to be coping okay, although I guess that might change as I get more ambitious with tracks, plug ins etc.

I was thinking anyway about upgrading for work. Was just wondering how people were finding the new MacBook Pro and Mac mini with Ableton.

I read some posts here about heat and fan noise being a problem with the pro. Is that a general experience or just from demanding professional users. I'm a total amateur!

I'm veering towards the Pro for portability reasons as we'll be traveling, but am really interested in what existing owners think. The alternative is windows 10 I guess, but I'm wary...

All the best and many thanks for any advice.

Pete
I went Windows 10 and am mostly satisfied. Windows 10 is a step up from older Windows Operating systems IMO. I have a MSI GS63VR and a custom built gaming PC. There are some drawbacks going Windows but I think the Pros kind of balances either way.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:23 pm

I'm running a purpose build music PC in a 19 inch housing. It is an Intel i7-7700 with two NVMe drives and a two TB HDD and 16 GB ram. The cooling is strong but silent. It ain't portable, but is very reliable with Windows 10 pro on it as OS.

A Mac might seem to work more intuïtive, but Win 10 Pro is afaik more tweakable.

If you are not so much in to PC's, I would choose a Mac for it's ease of use - if you are handy with PC's take that one for the lower price to start with.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Pete from Bristol

Post by Pete from Bristol » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:40 pm

Hi Miyaru,

Thanks for your reply. I use Mac for the sound and win 10 for the lights at the moment. I'm fairly comfortable with Windows, as long as I don't have fiddle around with code.

Macs are an absolute non starter for me now, until they're released with the new Apple Processors. I'll dig into Windows options a bit more.

All the best!

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:48 pm

Be aware that not all "powerfull" Win Laptops are good for DAW's! I have a Lenovo V320 laptop for everyday use with an i5 processor and 8 GB ram, but it struggles to run Live Suite. It is just not build for that. A friend of mine runs an Acer Gaming Laptop for audio, and it has an i7-7700M CPU along with 64 GB ram, and it runs just fine!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

Pete from Bristol

Post by Pete from Bristol » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:05 pm

Funnily enough I was searching info on a Lenovo p50 this morning and reached the same conclusion. Interesting what you say about the Acer. Predators seem to get great feedback from musicians - and they're way cheaper than Macs.

Can I ask, if you've got a minute, do you need to reconfigure win 10 machines a lot for Ableton? I'd Def turn off virus checkers and updates while recording, but is there stuff in the bios etc that you have to change?

Pete

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:35 pm

Turn off powerthrotling and set windows so that it runs at 100% all the time. Take high performance in energy settings.
Greetings from Miyaru.