Max For Live Core Library LFO "Serious Program Error" crash

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
stuartm

Re: Max For Live Core Library LFO "Serious Program Error" crash

Post by stuartm » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:41 am

Kal38 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:01 am
By using "internal graphics" for Ableton it worked for me too !
Thanks Stuartm
That's great.
Maybe there should be an FAQ article about this :?:

kvikindi

Post by kvikindi » Sat May 16, 2020 12:13 am

stuartm wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:52 am
I've had the same issue with LFO, other devices live Color from MaxForCats etc.

The fix was to force Ableton to use the internal graphics rather than the GPU of my notebook.
I had to re-install the latest driver for the GPU (in my case NVIDIA) and use their tool to set the internal graphics for Live.

It seems to be linked to M4L devices using graphics within the device frame.
You guys/gals just saved my sanity... Seriously! Thank you so much!
For giggles and good times i decided to try this, after a whole evening wasted on mediocre Google-Fu... Thank you. Thank you so. Flopping. Much!

Teace

Post by Teace » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:06 pm

I still have the problem and narrowed it down to max for lfo’s. If I remove them from my project there is no problem. I’m on a fast Mac with plenty ram. Max is up to date. I Entered a ticket but ableton did not go into the lfo problem and analyzed my crash reports. They say it might have to do with my ram (although the activity monitor show that I have enough!).
Cpu is on 20%

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:39 am

Teace wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:06 pm
I still have the problem and narrowed it down to max for lfo’s. If I remove them from my project there is no problem. I’m on a fast Mac with plenty ram. Max is up to date. I Entered a ticket but ableton did not go into the lfo problem and analyzed my crash reports. They say it might have to do with my ram (although the activity monitor show that I have enough!).
Cpu is on 20%
What version of Live are you running? Most of these issues seemed to go away with one of the recent updates to the bundled Max.

Teace

Post by Teace » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:08 pm

Also tried the .17 beta

Same problem

Teace

Post by Teace » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:05 pm

After a few days experimenting with a new machine MacBook Pro 16 inch 32GB ram 2tb ssd 2,4 8core instead of 2,3 with 16GB I only had one crash! Still one.... and that was while closing live. On the 16GB ram machine this was standard. With 32 only one... ableton said in reply to a ticket that I exceeded my ram. That’s why I took the risk and got a new machine with 32. It seems (!) to work.
Ableton should state on the website that 8 is Sufficient: it is not nearly enough. 32 seems to work (for now). I thought it would be overkill because everyone in the industry advised 16. I have a few days to even switch to 64. Now that’s overkill.

The activity monitor did not show the system overshooting the ram. But the crash report did.

But then again: the system should start to stutter when exceeding ram, not crash. I also spoke to many apple experts and they all see ableton as a big problem....

Anyhow: more ram seems to work. A lot more....!