Ableton Live 10.2 / 10.5 when?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
docbot

Ableton Live 10.2 / 10.5 when?

Post by docbot » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:06 am

Okay so it can only be weeks to max. 2 months till the next Version gets introduced. 10.1 was released 10 months ago, so I'd expect a new version
in June the latest. Let's speculate a bit :) When will it drop, what will it bring?

I hope they bring MPE and MIDI VST support so Channels don't have to be routed anymore when using Midi FX.

bafonso

Re: Ableton Live 10.2 / 10.5 when?

Post by bafonso » Fri May 22, 2020 1:25 am

docbot wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:06 am
Okay so it can only be weeks to max. 2 months till the next Version gets introduced. 10.1 was released 10 months ago, so I'd expect a new version
in June the latest. Let's speculate a bit :) When will it drop, what will it bring?

I hope they bring MPE and MIDI VST support so Channels don't have to be routed anymore when using Midi FX.
It's quite ironic they are midi 2.0 platinum supporter yet they never implemented MPE... :-)

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat May 23, 2020 6:15 pm

bafonso wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:25 am
It's quite ironic they are midi 2.0 platinum supporter yet they never implemented MPE... :-)
MPE is just MIDI 1.0

It needs more work than in other DAWs, but Live can use MPE just fine.
♥♥♥

docbot

Post by docbot » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:53 pm

well I hope the next release focuses on midi

MPE, piano roll scale snapping, actual midi channels, delay compensated external midi output, etc.

they have a bit of catching up to do.

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:35 pm

Live has MPE (which is mere MIDI 1.0), scale snapping (as a real-time effect, zero real need to be in the piano roll, real-time is better, FL users seem to think the world revolves around them, it doesn't), actual midi channels and delay compensated external midi output.
♥♥♥

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:24 am

I am sorry for making this into a ‘feature request’ thread, two things I’d like to see added in the near future (along with multi-touch) are:
1. More easily accessible midi mapping tools. Something that lets people do what Control Surface selection doesn’t, but without having to mess with coding/scripts. You’d think you could have a generic window that shows up where you can just map the stuff quickly and be done with it.

2. More in-depth drum rack support where each slot can be controlled chromatically at the flick of a switch. This would also mean some crazy clip mojo, where clips can either be the triggering of the drum rack as a whole, but unfolded, there’d be a clip for each drum rack slot. This is very common for beat performance akai/Maschine and would be great.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:00 am

docbot wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:53 pm
well I hope the next release focuses on midi

MPE, piano roll scale snapping, actual midi channels, delay compensated external midi output, etc.

they have a bit of catching up to do.
Its unlikely they will ever 'catch up' as other DAWS are moving forward at a faster rate adding new stuff and customers requests all the time...Bitwig updates 3-4 times a year, Logic massive free .5 update etc.

I think their best bet to stay current (and leapfrog competitors) is to do something no one else can do...at the moment that is pretty much focused around their hardware integration....I see more of this (and less of what many people are asking for) in the future.
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:57 am

Ableton have been moving incredibly slowly for years. A new synth here, or perhaps an effect device. Decades pass and it's not really gained much.

Looking at DAW such as Studio One , it's impressive to see the development and progress.

If someone were to ask me about headline features in L10 I'm not sure what is describe. The new fuzz pedal effect? The slightly awkward and flawed automation page? The way the indexer slows song loading down by 2000% ?
Meanwhile the competition are making massive sexy strides.

It's very strange. They have the staff, the cashflow. I don't understand why they are so glacialy slow and unimaginative

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:41 pm

…don‘t you think that the development and integration of push2 was a big step?…
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:34 pm

scheffkoch wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:41 pm
…don‘t you think that the development and integration of push2 was a big step?…
A big step for them, a big step for people who own Push (which is a separate product)

Push is not a part of Ableton Live. It's a separate product for people who want to buy it

I am not going to buy one. Nearly 600 quid !!! It's not for me.

I look at the other Daws, I see them adding really useful features, for example the arranger track in Studio One, or fun intuitive but powerful sonic design tools like Bitwigs Grid.

Or I can spend £600 on a controller?
Nah. Push is a nice device for those who can afford to buy it, and like to work one track at a time, but it's not "part of Ableton Live"

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:19 am

For me, Push2 was the reason to jump. I used Cubase for a very very long time before Live. I love Live with the Push2, without it, I would not use Live........

Then again, last autumn I bought Reason Suite 11, and many things are so much easier in Reason!!!! The two combined are absolutely nice!!!!! And due to PusheR2, I use my Push2 in Reason too.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:57 am
Ableton have been moving incredibly slowly for years. A new synth here, or perhaps an effect device. Decades pass and it's not really gained much.

Looking at DAW such as Studio One , it's impressive to see the development and progress.

If someone were to ask me about headline features in L10 I'm not sure what is describe. The new fuzz pedal effect? The slightly awkward and flawed automation page? The way the indexer slows song loading down by 2000% ?
Meanwhile the competition are making massive sexy strides.

It's very strange. They have the staff, the cashflow. I don't understand why they are so glacialy slow and unimaginative
In the 10 months since 10.1 was released Bitwig have had 2 fairly significant updates and a dozen smaller feature and bug releases...
They manage 3 significant updates a year, many with originality and features requested by the users. Bitwig have FIVE Developers!

I just don't understand what Ablton are doing, I thought V10 was very disponing release after 5 years (I didn't update until 10.1 the 30% off sale, it just wasn't worth it)

I still have a lot of love for Live, I have been with it since V4, but the truth is nowadays I just keep booting Bitwig over Live unless I just ant to launch clips with my (novation pro 3) controller ..they really need to add something special soon or they will be relegated to just a software application that comes with hardware.
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

eyaaal

Post by eyaaal » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 pm

Has anyone heard of something aboud ableton getting mpe soon? I saw in youtube something about that

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:47 pm

eyaaal wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 pm
Has anyone heard of something aboud ableton getting mpe soon? I saw in youtube something about that
People can deduce and speculate because Ableton are obviously invested in the market and they have been producing a Multi-Pressure hardware device for years.
There may even be leaky people who have access to some possible version of L10.5, and musicians are known to be chatty even when under NDAs. People love to let slip hints that they have the hot scoop. Even if they don't really. So the water is muddy.

Even without any inside knowledge we can see it makes sense to evolve the MPE and MIDI 2 capabilities. The new Arrangement automation pane is very likely for that purpose, and will be unveiled in some point version. We can speculate, with some justification.

But as for what people really know, Ableton traditionally remain tight lipped, and glacially slow in implementation. expect news sometime around summer 2022.
A new flanger

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:52 pm

We prefer the term "Improved Flanger" actually.