Arturia Minilab 2 Midi Mapping Problems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
krismartyr

Arturia Minilab 2 Midi Mapping Problems

Post by krismartyr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Hello guys,

I recently bought the Arturia Minilab 2, and have been facing serious problems in getting basic stuff like midi mapping knobs working !

After I midi map any Ableton device to the hardware knob on the Minilab 2, the controller doesn't correspond to the physical connection properly.

The 0-127 dial, turns opposite way. It just step jump from values 24-70-127..random large increments.

I have gone into to the Mdid software provided by Arturia and checked settings to > Control > Absolute and general purpose midi controller.

THis is just bizarre. I have never faced this very basic simple problem with any midi controller ever.

misterbreadsticks

Re: Arturia Minilab 2 Midi Mapping Problems

Post by misterbreadsticks » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:37 pm

Unfortunately the way I solved this was by returning it. I had the same issue after buying a used one (good price, bad choice). Did you by chance buy it used at a Guitar Center in the Southeast? I ended up getting an Akai mini for a few bucks more and it works marvelously, although I don't like the joystick as much as I liked the separate touch sliders for pitch control.

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Have you tried contacting Arturia support as well? They've been able to help me a few times - make sure you have the most recent firmware/software for it.

https://www.arturia.com/support
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com

krismartyr

Post by krismartyr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi guys thank you for replying.

1. The Arturiua forums are dead. No one replies.

2. I cant figure out if it is an Arturia problem or this can be fixed by proper midi mapping.

3. "to Relative #2 in MIDI Control Center, assigned that to preset #3 (shift+pad3) " doesn't make sense if I need my own individual custom macro mapping right ? Pre assigned knobs are alright for a very limited use.

Aaah, let me try and see.

Thanks ! :?

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:47 pm

krismartyr wrote:1. The Arturiua forums are dead. No one replies.

No no, not their forums but try contacting their support. I've gotten replies within a few hours of opening a ticket with their support staff.
I wish I could be more help!
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com

Composer8

Post by Composer8 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:11 am

I really tried to stay with Arturia but this Minilab MK 2 is garbage!!!! they advertise it maps to Ableton but it doesn't!! it plays and picks up key sounds ableton lite owrks and UV piano but the lighting affect on my pads don't work. Cant scroll scenes or clip tracks!!!! no lightning affect at all!!!! not much of a controller very disappointed. followed instructions obviously a crap device! Welp guess i'll go back to novation as they are the only company that seems gets it right out of the box!!! Native and arturia is no where near as good as novation never a problem!!!
:(

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:53 pm

Composer8 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:11 am
I really tried to stay with Arturia but this Minilab MK 2 is garbage!!!! they advertise it maps to Ableton but it doesn't!! it and picks up key sounds ableton lite owrks and UV piano but the lighting affect on my pads don't work. Cant scroll scenes or clip tracks!!!! no lightning affect at all!!!! not much of a controller very disappointed. followed instructions obviously a crap device! Welp guess i'll go back to novation as they are the only company that seems gets it right out of the box!!! Native and arturia is no where near as good as novation never a problem!!!
:(
Midi is like a book full of blank pages, with just an index. You can write whatever pleases you and this index actually contains all you need... unless you don’t know what midi is and how it works.
Softwares like Live offer “pre-made stories” to get you started but it’s for the general public, and if you need to get into your own world you have no other choice than learning how to write by yourself.
But you’re lucky, because it shouldn’t take you more than an evening to study and understand midi.
Ableton Forum Moderator

billybuck1

Post by billybuck1 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:50 am

Ableton 10 recognized my Keylab MKII out of the box, and once I set the Keylab’s DAW mode to “Live,” it worked as advertised. I’ve never tried to use it with anything other than the stock mappings.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:54 am

Do the encoders rotate the ableton ones at a reasonable speed?
I think akai knobs need many turns for a full circle.

And how's it with ableton 11?