unwanted silence added when importing audio clip

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ricecrispies

unwanted silence added when importing audio clip

Post by ricecrispies » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:51 am

When I take a loop recorded in Live, edit it in Audacity, and import it back into Live, there is unwanted silence at the end, meaning that the events in the loop are no longer in time.

This is what happens:
I record my loop in Live. Today it was a bit of guitar strumming. All the strums were more or less in time. There was one bum chord, and because I am a terrible guitarist, I opened the clip in Audacity to replace the chord with another one from somewhere else in the loop. I kept the original version in one track and the new version in another track, so I was able to verify that my edit hadn't changed the timing. Then I exported the edited clip as WAV 32 bit float. But when I imported it back into Live, I found that the last event came half a beat too early. In other words this 16 beat loop had been augmented to a 16½ beat loop.

I went back to Audacity, closed my projects, opened both the old and the new version of the loop in separate projects, then copied the audio from one to a new track in the other, and then played that project. The sounds were perfectly lined up. This means that Live is adding silence at the end of the edited clip when it imports it. How can I stop this happening?

ricecrispies

Re: unwanted silence added when importing audio clip

Post by ricecrispies » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:01 am

I've just realised that I've asked a stupid question. When I zoomed in in audacity, I found that the two clips were not exactly the same length.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:47 pm

Just a question.... why would you ever import a clip from Live to Audacity for editing? I was forced to use Audacity at work for awhile (because it's free), doing voiceover editing for training videos, and can't imagine ever using it again unless someone put a gun to my head. :lol:

If there's something you can do easier in Audacity than Live, I can't imagine it, so please teach me. Maybe it will help me next time I'm in that situation.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

ricecrispies

Post by ricecrispies » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:12 pm

What I wanted to do was replace one strum of my guitar with the same chord from the next bar. Is there a way to do that in Live?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:54 pm

ricecrispies wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:51 am
How can I stop this happening?
someone stop me from saying it...
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:59 pm

ricecrispies wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:12 pm
What I wanted to do was replace one strum of my guitar with the same chord from the next bar. Is there a way to do that in Live?
If you're talking about copying or cutting a chord from an audio clip and pasted in place of another section of the audio clip, then yeah, there are several ways to do that in Live, depending on which view you're in (clip view or arrangement view) and what else you're trying to accomplish at the same time.

For these kinds of tasks, you've find Live is vastly more powerful that Audacity.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:34 pm

you're right, Ableton totally sucks for this kind of creation. there are other options out there for you.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz