Using Novation X Station as Audio Interface in El CapitanMac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ceassare

Using Novation X Station as Audio Interface in El CapitanMac

Post by ceassare » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:26 am

Hi guys, i started using Ableton Live recently, the first day i installed Ableton and Novation X station it was working fine as an audio interface, then suddenly the next day Live is not recognizing X station as audio interface, still i can use it as Midi Controller, i don't really want to use X station as controller cause i have Push 2, any ideas on how can i use the X station only as audio interface?
Thanks

Davo

Re: Using Novation X Station as Audio Interface in El CapitanMac

Post by Davo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:08 am

Try installing the driver from the Novation site.

ceassare

Post by ceassare » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:05 pm

I did, i can see the x station installed in "Audio Midi Setup" and Live can see it too, but only as midi controller, not as audio interface :(
Thanks

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:59 pm

Try this: Go to Mac System Preferences > Sound > Output and see if the X-station is available there.
If its not available in the menu, then possibly it's not compatible with El Capitan, and it wouldn't be just a Live Issue.

Though thats odd, as you say you had it working once before... when it was working, was that with exactly the same setup/OSX version etc?
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

ceassare

Post by ceassare » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:15 am

Hi Pitch Black, is not available in my sound output system preferences, and i think you are right, it's something about El Capitan cause i have the same setup with Mountain Lion and it works fine.

I found this from an old post:
"Keep in mind that when you put the X-Station in synth mode that the X-Station is no longer an audio interface."
so i tried different modes and it didn't work.

And yeah that's the funny thing, i had it working twice before, once when i reinstalled El Capitan and when i reinstalled Live, but when i shut down my Mac and i turn it on next day is not working again. :(

I found this also from a different post:
"- The X-Station is only a 2x2 audio interface (2in/2out), so unless you use a trick to make Live see it and your computer's built in audio as one device
(ASIO4ALL or Aggregate devices in OSX), you won't get Dj-Style prelistening via a seperate output."

So i tried Asio and soundflower, still not working...

I'm sure it's something about El Capitan, i'm hoping to find a trick to make it work.

Thanks

ceassare

Post by ceassare » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:09 pm

Mystery solved, deleting the file NovationUSBAudio.kext in User, System, Library, Extensions.
It will allow you use the Novation X-station 25 midi keyboard as Audio interface and midi controller at the same time, Live Ableton 9.7 and MacOSX 10.11 El Capitan.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:58 am

MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

skiboinkles

Post by skiboinkles » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:47 pm

thanks SO MUCH ! i had the same problem with xiosynth and it fixed it !!!

EXCELLENT !