Ableton 11. You forgot something

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Bulemy

Re: Ableton 10.2, It's time....

Post by Bulemy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:21 am

Updated

TheCoil

Re: Ableton, It's time....

Post by TheCoil » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:34 am

dna598 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:21 pm
I believe the very nature of Live as devised by it's creators, means that we simply won't see it becoming the all singing all dancing DAW that Logic now appears to be. Of course I hope to proven wrong.
EG. We will never see comping in Live.

We will never see a horizontal session view next to the arrangement in Live

We will never see waveform drawing in the audio editor in Live.

We will never see item FX in Live

and so on.... unless of course the developers drop their rigidity to sticking to the "live" paradigm, which to me is worth dropping. Their Idea of " live" is not the same as mine. ( see my complaints about Push). It's already pretty bloaty feeling, why not just go full fat?

I also have no idea if Logic 10.5 is actually better at handling it's new ableton "influenced" features, but it has features i want. Small features i have not listed, that Ableton never needed to leave out themselves.
Ableton's original nature was as "live" performance software but it's come too far to fall back on that excuse. It has to function as an all-in-one DAW, competing with Logic, Bitwig, Pro Tools, etc. if it is to continue to have relevance. Look what happened to Reason, you have to innovate but also compete with the other options that might entice your users to leave.
If they stubbornly insist on keeping Live as this one vision and not adding things like comping because that's only for "recording" software like Pro Tools, they're going to fail eventually.

gbert

Re: Ableton, It's time....

Post by gbert » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:33 am

TheCoil wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:34 am
Look what happened to Reason, you have to innovate but also compete with the other options that might entice your users to leave.
Well stated, especially this point. Reason should be a motivator for what not to become. Live has to compete with the other DAWs in terms of features for recording and composing. There have been significant updates this year from others, such as Logic and Studio One. And Cubase should be rolling out version 11 by the end of the year. They may surprise with a major facelift, given what they already have deployed with Cubasis in the mobile world.

Besides all of this, given the situation with Covid, live music is going to be much less prevalent in the short term. This is not the time for any company to rest their laurels on a product designed primarily for live performance. We are all going to be more focused on music creation, composition, and online realtime collaboration.

As for the product, keep the name but change the pronunciation. Not pronounced "Live" as in "live music", but instead "Live" as in "Live to make music".

satansabyss

Post by satansabyss » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:27 am

Personally, I don't need new features, the main thing I want is a more stable software overall. I made some optimisation on my setup so it's not so sluggish, but I've been cursing it a lot lately (between M4L not working/loading properly half the time, Live not being responsive enough to my taste and hard crashes for no apparent reasons).

Many features listed in the first posts of this thread are already there btw... Devices like a VU meter and oscilloscopes would be nice tho.

docbot

Post by docbot » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:33 pm

Just chiming in to say that it's ridiculous that Ableton has still not announced an update. :P

Bulemy

Post by Bulemy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:01 pm

docbot wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:33 pm
Just chiming in to say that it's ridiculous that Ableton has still not announced an update. :P
10.2 will be in September, I think.

docbot

Post by docbot » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:38 am

Bulemy wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:01 pm
docbot wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:33 pm
10.2 will be in September, I think.
hopefully <3

Bulemy

Post by Bulemy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:25 am

updated + 1

docbot

Re: Ableton 10.2, It's time.... for getting better

Post by docbot » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 pm

it's still time. already middle of September and still no update

Bulemy

Post by Bulemy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:03 pm

docbot wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 pm
possibly due to covid, the release was postponed to October, like iphone 12 = D

Oneiroi

Post by Oneiroi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:32 pm

Bulemy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:03 pm
docbot wrote:
Does anyone actually have any hint of a clue of a possible approximate release date? :|

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:41 pm

No.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:25 pm

Oneiroi wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:32 pm
Bulemy wrote:
docbot wrote:
Does anyone actually have any hint of a clue of a possible approximate release date? :|
Tarekith is always more succinct, but here's a big clue about this.
So far there isn't any new version in the public beta, anyone who is working on alpha or early non public beta versions is not going to be capable of telling you anything due to NDA's etc.

I'm just as anxious as the rest of you, I've spent the last year chasing other DAWs, but I'm familiar with Live, and don't like to think of them turning into the next Propellerheads Reason, with a bunch of mostly bad ideas tacked on over the years.

Mostly what strikes me from my DAW travels over the year though is people really really want a great composing DAW, but also want it to be a great mixing, mastering, film score, and performance DAW. It reminds me of the old saying about construction and handyman work, "Your choices are Quality, Speed, and Cheap. You can only choose two." I think with DAWs there's a choice between a fast uncluttered sequencing and writing DAW, and a super complex mixing and mastering DAW. Most of the big DAWs are not as fun to write in, it's just the way it is: Logic, DP, Cubase, S1, Reaper etc. all are great and you can write in them with no real issues, it's just a lot less fun than in Live or Bitwig or some even more sequencer oriented DAW or tracker like FL, ReNoise, Reason etc.

Essentially, if you need Live to be Cubase etc., you're never going to like Live.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:54 pm

Thank you for expanding upon my reply, much better than me :)

I can only type is sooo many times before.... well.... just no. LOL
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Bulemy

Post by Bulemy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:54 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:25 pm
Oneiroi wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:32 pm
Bulemy wrote:

Tarekith is always more succinct, but here's a big clue about this.
So far there isn't any new version in the public beta, anyone who is working on alpha or early non public beta versions is not going to be capable of telling you anything due to NDA's etc.

I'm just as anxious as the rest of you, I've spent the last year chasing other DAWs, but I'm familiar with Live, and don't like to think of them turning into the next Propellerheads Reason, with a bunch of mostly bad ideas tacked on over the years.

Mostly what strikes me from my DAW travels over the year though is people really really want a great composing DAW, but also want it to be a great mixing, mastering, film score, and performance DAW. It reminds me of the old saying about construction and handyman work, "Your choices are Quality, Speed, and Cheap. You can only choose two." I think with DAWs there's a choice between a fast uncluttered sequencing and writing DAW, and a super complex mixing and mastering DAW. Most of the big DAWs are not as fun to write in, it's just the way it is: Logic, DP, Cubase, S1, Reaper etc. all are great and you can write in them with no real issues, it's just a lot less fun than in Live or Bitwig or some even more sequencer oriented DAW or tracker like FL, ReNoise, Reason etc.

Essentially, if you need Live to be Cubase etc., you're never going to like Live.
ableton is a great daw for mixing, it has convenient automation, functional routing. The only thing that interferes with this process is problems with plugins related from BPM, as well as the complete inoperability of the m4l LFO / Envelope follower / etc, which are VERY needed today for mastering.