Pitch Bend Automation?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
autozone

Pitch Bend Automation?

Post by autozone » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:59 pm

I have a track that I want to pitch bend over time. Is there a effect that allows me to do that? Delay can sort of do it... if only I could skip the delay part of that effect. Any ideas?

dsu

Re: Pitch Bend Automation?

Post by dsu » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:29 pm

This depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

If you are thinking of the MIDI pitch bend function, it can be automated by drawing the curve in the clip editor. I haven't tried this (good idea for a project) but I think you could map an LFO to the control.

If it is an audio track each clip has a pitch control that can be automated in a similar manner to automating the MIDI pitch bend.

If you want to do this in real time you will need some sort of DSP plugin. You might find a Max4Live device that does this. Bear in mind that unless your input is at a constant pitch the effect of a rising sound will be lost if you are playing a melody and the input is constantly changing.

It might be what you are looking for is a device that detects the onset of each new note, resets the pitch shift to zero and then begins to apply the desired envelop. Sounds like a cool effect. In the modular world it would be easy to do just patch an envelop generator to the frequency input of an oscillator and trigger the envelop every time you change the frequency of the oscillator.