Ableton startup slow -- Some successful steps but Push 2 support alone adds 21 seconds!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
solar28

Ableton startup slow -- Some successful steps but Push 2 support alone adds 21 seconds!

Post by solar28 » Fri May 29, 2020 2:25 am

Hey All

I started trying to troubleshoot my really slow startup, about 1.5 minutes. I trashed preferences file, got it down to roughly a minute. Was able to shave it down to about 49 seconds after making sure Max was authorized and updated. But this left me with about ~50 seconds to start the program. Window is unresponsive during entire startup until Push 2 turns on.

By looking at the logs, it was showing me
2020-05-28T20:07:28.769325: info: Performance: Startup hook 'EnableMidiRemoteScriptManager': Running time: 39789 ms.

I deleted everything from C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 10 Suite\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts. Startup time was lowered to about 15 seconds total and under a second for the MidiRemoteScriptManager.

So I brought back the "ableton", "Push2", and "pushbase" folders to restore Push support and startup increased to about 40 seconds, and the logs now show:
2020-05-28T20:22:05.229235: info: Performance: Startup hook 'EnableMidiRemoteScriptManager': Running time: 21928 ms

So simply having the Push2 remote scripts in the folder increases the startup time on my system! By ~22 seconds!

Forwarding this to support. Anybody have any ideas?

Tyson

jestermgee

Re: Ableton startup slow -- Some successful steps but Push 2 support alone adds 21 seconds!

Post by jestermgee » Fri May 29, 2020 2:28 am

Post your system specs and live version

Also, is your OS drive an SSD or not?

solar28

Re: Ableton startup slow -- Some successful steps but Push 2 support alone adds 21 seconds!

Post by solar28 » Fri May 29, 2020 2:33 am

Live: 10.1.14
OS Drive: SSD
Ableton on OS drive, Library on separate SSD

CPU: 5820k @ 3.8 ghz 6 core (12 virtual) Ram: 32 gig

Windows 10 latest version.

Bitwig Startup (using the Push 2 scripts by Moss): 12 seconds

I looks like there's a lot of python being run, however there is no other installation of Python on my system. Just dunno why so slow.

basictonal

Post by basictonal » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:52 pm

I am also having this problem with Ableton Suite 10, running Windows 10 64bit

I have an SSD where my copy of live is installed & Push 2 connected.

Startup currently takes 50 seconds until Push lights up and Ableton becomes useable (not responding before that if i click anything on the screen).

When i clear the MIDI Remote Scripts folder and start ableton, its up and running in 16 seconds, but obviously with now no Push lit up.

So it seems getting push to start adds 34 seconds, this seems a very long time - any body got any reasons as to why this is the case?

Thanks
David

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:09 pm

I guess this is their official response, any help?
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... n-Windows-

IMO Push is going away and I wouldn't expect any support. I wouldn't get one. once I saw the Pro Tools dock this was clear to me. check the ebay prices, people are ditching those boxes.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Ha, pro tools. Good one.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:15 pm

One solution is to add Live to your startup in Windows. I have the same issue that exists on one machine. Something is causing it but the so called fixes don't work and it has to do with other startup items. If I launch Live as soon Windows starts if opens up immediately.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:11 am

kitekrazy wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:15 pm
One solution is to add Live to your startup in Windows. I have the same issue that exists on one machine. Something is causing it but the so called fixes don't work and it has to do with other startup items. If I launch Live as soon Windows starts if opens up immediately.
is Live the only application that you need to do that for?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:11 am
kitekrazy wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:15 pm
is Live the only application that you need to do that for?
Yes. This only happens on one system. There is no issue with my main system.

solar28

Post by solar28 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:21 am

I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. My issue never got resolved -- support took a month to get back to me and closed the ticket after I didn't respond in 24 hours. Problem Solved, signed, Ableton :)

Don't get me wrong I love this software.

I decided to do another timed test. My basic setup is that any midi connections outside the push 2 are disabled. Just in case.
Show GUI is the time it takes to display the GUI. This is basically static. GUI Responsive is how long it takes before, well, GUI is responsive and the Push 2 display turns on

Step 1: Push connected and on. No other midi devices are enabled.
Show GUI: 16s
GUI Responsive: 52s

Step 2: Push off and Control Surface set to none
Show GUI: 16s
GUI Responsive: 20s

Step 2.5: Turn push on and let live detect it. Program Responsive again after:
10s

Step 3: Push connected and on. Same as step 1
Show GUI: 18s
GUI Responsive: 52s.

I am leaning to the hunch that on windows, something on startup could be interfering. I'll try adding it to startup. And I'll try removing my Bome's virtual midi and report back. More just out of curiosity. Ebay, my old friend, I am headed your way to sell my push 2. And look, I know there was a time when all software took a minute to start lol. But my system is so quick at most other apps, ableton is now the slowest music app I have to start. SSD is expensive :/

solar28

Post by solar28 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:41 am

OK, on my system neither uninstalling virtual midi drivers or adding live to startup helped.

In fact adding it to startup was 16s to show GUI, but 82s before responsive.

Close and Restart live: 42s before Push2 responsive.

Remove Push Altogther: 14s to start ableton and have a responsive GUI

Bitwig:
13 seconds to start up with Push 2 display on and ready.