How to protect passwords?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
filter_7

How to protect passwords?

Post by filter_7 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:08 am

Hey, I'm wondering about what is the simplest and most efficient method to protect our passwords.

How and where do you save you passwords safely?

Do you have some suggestions for a standard bulletproof protection? Please speak only with direct experience and daily usage.

The scenario is if I'm away for work and I must "carry" these passwords with me, thanks.

Angstrom

Re: How to protect passwords?

Post by Angstrom » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:49 am

You need to actually carry them? Or do you mean "have access to them"?

I use a program called keepass, which saves encrypted passwords in strongly encrypted databases. Those databases can be saved on dedicated secure web locations which I can access remotely. You could use Googledrive, Dropbox, etc.
The database is stored with a very long passphrase to access. A correct battery horse staple style password. Like Resist-Toward-Trip-Reserve-Though-Mill-General-Story-4
These pass-phrases aren't written down anywhere.

Now, to access my any of my password databases what I need to do is access the unique protected cloud drive, and remember that passphrase to open the database.

For anyone else they’d need to get access to your cloud account, find the databases, decrypt them. That’s difficult .

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:41 pm

Hello Angstrom, thank you for the answer.

May I ask you how this practically works?

If you need a password you have to download the file and de-crypt it each time?
I assume that it can be a file in a folder that you encrypt, is it correct?

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:43 pm

Do you have a solution if I need to have the passwords on a notebook in a file too?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:43 pm

I just use Apple's iCloud Keychain, that way all my passwords are encrypted and synced across my computer, iPhone, and iPad. If I ever need to access an account away from one of my devices, I can always look up the passwords from my phone.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:23 am

@Tarekith: Nice and easy method. I don't have "all Apple" setup but I saw that pretty much every cloud storage has double password access that is very solid. Maybe I should go for it.

If someone else is interested I found that 7-Zip has AES 256 encryption password method for files and folders.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:25 pm

This is built into MacOS as well for those that are curious, you can create 128 or 256bit AES encrypted DMG files in disk utility. No need for a separate app if you're just trying to protect a file or folder.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:17 am

Another useful thing you can do on a Mac, iPad or iPhone is to encrypt and lock a note within the Notes application. If Notes is set to use iCloud storage that note can then be accessed from any Apple device logged into iCloud with the correct user name and password. Though merely knowing the iCloud log-on security stuff doesn’t get you access to the locked note, you still need to supply the password or finger-print to unlock it. If you close Notes with a locked file still open the file is automatically locked.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.