HotCue in a Dj Set

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
T3kn0l1z4rd

HotCue in a Dj Set

Post by T3kn0l1z4rd » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:13 am

Hi there.
Is there any chance in Ableton Live (9 or above), to set one or more HotCue as I can do in any other mixing software (eg. Traktor, Rekordbox)?
Just a marker with label HotCue 1, HotCue 2, etc. could be ok.
Thanks in advance.

S4racen

Re: HotCue in a Dj Set

Post by S4racen » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:22 pm

No, you'd need to split your full tracks and set up follow actions.

Cheers
D

T3kn0l1z4rd

Post by T3kn0l1z4rd » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks anyway.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:42 pm

Follow action would not help here.

Ableton Live clips are "Hot Cues" by nature. Just think of it that instead of having one track with many cue markers, each clip is a Hot Cue for the same track.

You also don't need to split your track file. Just copy the same track's clip for the amount of Hot Cues you want (no limits in Live), place them in the same column and then simply place the start marker in each clip to the position of the hot cue you want to create for that clip.

Then simply play the clip you want to jump to in the track.

It may seem strange at first to have many clips in a row for the same track, but you will see in the end that it provides way more flexibility and power than Traktor - especially if you start setting up effects automation in those "Hot Cue' clips.

For naming, for example, you can leave the first full track clip as the name of the track and then you can name the hot Cue clips underneath to whatever you want. You can also save all these clips together (shift select and drag into browser) as one "clip" file in the Live browser / playlist, so when you re-import your song in another set, all your "Hot Cue" setup is preserved for that song.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:34 am

Follow Actions and splitting your clips adds the additional benefit of being able to phrase your mixes easily.

Cheers
D

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:17 pm

This has me thinking.

I’ve been using Live since before groups existed. Now that groups exist, djing can be much easier. You can save a song as an entire channel. And then just load that channel into a Group. The group would act as a mixer channel deck so you’d have consistent mapping to channel parameters, but you don’t have to constantly scroll and add remove individual clips or groups of clips, you can just load and unload channels inside the Group. An added perk is you can easily add automation.

I’ve seen similar things where people routed channels to Deck A and Deck B. But using Groups saves the hassle of rerouting audio channels.

I’ll have to give this a go later !