Import MIDI files help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
virus73

Import MIDI files help

Post by virus73 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 pm

Hello. New user question.

Maybe this has been addressed and I just couldn't find it in the forums. I purchased some MIDI samples from a couple sites (synth loops, pre-made drum samples, ambient sound stuff) Some of the things worked, but some like the Ugritone samples don't play right in the preview pane. Instead of sounding like they did on the purchase website when testing the samples out they sound like vintage arcade video game sounds. Is this because there is no default sound set to them or did I install them wrong? For example, when I click on the pre-made drum pattern I have a hard time hearing it as it is just a series of beeps and boops. I know I have to drag an instrument to the MIDI track to hear them but didn't think I had to for hearing them in the preview pane to pick the one i want to use.

I have always used audio loops but am now just learning about and how to use MIDI pre-made sample and patterns.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Import MIDI files help

Post by [jur] » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:00 pm

virus73 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 pm
I purchased some MIDI samples
Hi there,
You purchased midi files/clips, but there's nothing as "midi sample". A sample is audio, a midi file is just a series of digital informations (mainly notes).
What you're hearing in the Browser is the midi preview... yeah it's just made out of bleeps, and yeah that's not really useful but you can't change the default (system, actually) "preview instrument" unfortunately.
A trick would be to load all your purchased midi clips into an midi track, load an instrument (synth, drum rack...) and then save those as new clips in the Browser. That way, the next time your preview them they will use this synth/drum rack.
Ableton Forum Moderator

virus73

Re: Import MIDI files help

Post by virus73 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:58 pm

Thank you thank you thank you for the great idea I will definitely try this tonight