Very annoying noise/crackling I can't get rid of

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Airiden

Very annoying noise/crackling I can't get rid of

Post by Airiden » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:16 am

I've had noise problems for a while on Ableton but just recently has it gotten to the point of being unbearable. I have this constant crackling noise anytime I am playing something on Ableton. Whether it be my bass guitar plugged in through my audio interface, or a third party/Ableton instrument that I am playing on my midi. This crackling sound is always there. I first messed with my audio preferences and the only thing that seems to work or reduce it is turning the CPU usage simulator to 0 which reduces it some and when I change to the different buffer sizes. The problem with changing to a different buffer size is the noise only goes away for a few seconds, then it slowly fades back in.

I've checked my audio interface by listening to it directly and there is no noise. My headphones and speakers are not the problems as it only crackles when in Ableton. I'm using ASIO4ALL and my In/Out Sample rate is at 44100, anything higher increases noise, anything lower has very bad sound quality. My buffer size is 512 although the noise is the same no matter what buffer size I put it at. What can I do to get rid of this noise?

Thanks

Da hand

Re: Very annoying noise/crackling I can't get rid of

Post by Da hand » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:58 am

Why are you using ASIO4ALL? Doesn't your audio interface have it's own ASIO drivers? You should be using those. What interface is it?

Airiden

Post by Airiden » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:47 pm

I'm using a Scarlett audio interface, didn't know it had drivers. Might have to check that out.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:39 pm

You always want to try the stock drivers for the audio card first, it's pretty rare these days people need to use Asio4all. :D

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:58 pm

If it's a Scarlett, then for sure download and install the drivers for that card from the Facusrite website. As Tarekith said, you want to use those first, as they will contain their own ASIO drivers optimized for that card. ASIO4All is only a last resort if you can't resolve problems with the card's drivers for some reason - usually rare for a card like a Scarlett.