External MIDI Synth configuration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mopop

External MIDI Synth configuration

Post by mopop » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure my set-up, having re-arranged it (and hoovered behind everything for the first time in 2 years!).

I have a bunch of external synths, which I am using as sound sources. I have set up the external instrument with the correct MIDI ports / channels and corresponding audio interface inputs.

I want to use ONLY one of them as my main MIDI keyboard for inputting MIDI note data etc. to whichever track / channel I am working on or have selected. A controller keyboard. But it is also one of my sound sources.

Even with monitoring set to off for that keyboard, I still hear it's output regardless of which channel / track I have selected to record note data on.

How do I select one input as my main controller but only hear it's output if I have selected that channel or am playing back MIDI clips for it?

The synth doesn't have a local on/off as far as I can see. Regardless, the monitor In/Auto/Off should still block it though right?

Do I need to use a separate keyboard as my MIDI controller and use each other synth as only an external sound module?

Richie Witch

Re: External MIDI Synth configuration

Post by Richie Witch » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:27 am

What do you have all the audio outputs of your synths connected to?
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

miyaru

Re: External MIDI Synth configuration

Post by miyaru » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:06 am

If your audio interface is set to direct monitoring, and local is set to on on that synth - you will hear sound from it.

First set local to off, and secondly turn of direct monitoring to off for that input channel.

Maybe you use a mixer for all that synths, dunno how many you got, then change routing on the mixer........
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen: