New user - installing packs (Specifically Komplete Kontrol)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Salera

New user - installing packs (Specifically Komplete Kontrol)

Post by Salera » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:53 pm

Hey folks! Hope you're having an excellent day.

I'm brand brand new to music production, and I'm currently taking a class to learn. I really want to be able to use sound packs that are out there, and I'm having some trouble. Currently I'm playing with Komplete Kontrol, and the DAW I'm using is Ableton. I've installed Komplete Kontrol, and I simply cannot get the sound library to show up in Ableton to use.

How would you go about this?

Mark Williams

Re: New user - installing packs (Specifically Komplete Kontrol)

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:43 pm

You must run Native Instrument s stuff in standalone first before trying to use their plugins within a DAW.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Salera

Post by Salera » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:59 pm

Thanks for the reply - I'm a little unclear what you mean? Forgive me, I'm 100% new to all of this. I ran Native to install Komplete initially, and Komplete appears to be on my machine, but despite this it's nowhere in Ableton.

Have I missed something? I'm certain I have, but for the life of me don't know what. Also worth noting I can't use anything else I installed with Native yet either.

Any help you can lend is most appreciated.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:01 pm

Firstly, it would help to know what OS you are on.

Komplete Kontrol is a VST/AU Plugin so when you install it you will be asked where to install the plugin part. You need to make sure wherever the plugin has been installed (this is a good point to always keep your VST plugins installed to a common folder and take note of installers) that you have set the Live preferences for VST2 to the location where it has been installed.

You should then find the Komplete Kontrol plugin in the conveniently named "Plugins" menu in the Live browser

If you have not yet done so, recommend RTFM too as it probably explains exactly what to do:

Mac
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... 0000647337

PC
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... 0005289318

Salera

Post by Salera » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:31 am

My friend - this was it. Despite what I THOUGHT I had done to install these, they were in different places. I don't know how I missed this at first, but you have saved my project. Thanks so much to you and everyone else who chimed in to help me track it down, all my plugins are in one folder, and lo and behold, they work!!