Let's fix the MapButton bug !

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
chapelier fou

Let's fix the MapButton bug !

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 am

this topic brought it back to me : viewtopic.php?f=35&t=225215

Any m4l device using MapButton (and its variations) has a saving bug : when you unmap a parameter and save the set, when you reload the set, it's mapped again. I am really surprised to not see more complaints about it.
I remember having tried hard to fix this, but i couldn't find the bug.

Who would investigate ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

hoffman2k

Re: Let's fix the MapButton bug !

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:35 am

chapelier fou wrote:this topic brought it back to me : viewtopic.php?f=35&t=225215

Any m4l device using MapButton (and its variations) has a saving bug : when you unmap a parameter and save the set, when you reload the set, it's mapped again. I am really surprised to not see more complaints about it.
I remember having tried hard to fix this, but i couldn't find the bug.

Who would investigate ?
Its likely because of how the ID is stored and recalled.

Persistent Mapping needs to be in only one (live.)object and it should check the device state before passing it on to the rest of the patch.
Deleting a mapping requires an "ID 0" message to ALL objects that may store the current ID.
Bypassing a mapping works as it should if you followed the first rule.
Using 2 different mapping devices on the same parameter would only work if the devices send their values with live.object. You can have only 1 remote~ mapped to an ID. But you can have unlimited live.objects mapped to the same ID.

djorno

Re: Let's fix the MapButton bug !

Post by djorno » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:53 am

I'm not a Max expert by any stretch of the imagination, so any help would be appreciated.

I'll be working with the Map button and for a long time it seemed to be recalling mappings in my template properly. I use literally hundreds of instances in my project, so not having to re-map each and every time I load the set is crucial. But it seems at some point along the way things got 'corrupted' and now all my mappings are back to an unmapped blue state, which undoes a tonne of work.

It seems that sometimes when I duplicate instances of the Map button devices to save myself time, this breaks things. For ex, I have one Group of tracks that contains 40 MultiMap mods [I stripped down to one 'UniMap' to cut down from 8 Map buttons to 1] instances distributed across them, so I just duplicate the Group and then go to unmap / remap these devices one by one. While this seems to achieve proper functionality if I mess with parameters in the same session, reloading the set sometimes brings everything back unmapped, or may be re-mapped to old parameters as mentioned here. Just bizarre, non-functional behaviour.

Is it the duplication process of the Map button devices which is causing irreparable screw-uppery? I am working and reworking the template to see what's what. If I need to rebuild each of my mega Groups by scratch and instantiate fresh devices for each track instead of trying to shortcut it I will, but maybe there's another solution I'm unaware of?

It seems sometimes when I play around with Max devices, even if I return things to how they were at the beginning of a session, things are getting messed up in whatever way that reloading becomes a problem. I'm dealing with many sets which just will not load, even though I was just working in them no problem earlier.

Also, on a similar wtf note, has anyone else had an issue where they work with a Max device which is being referenced from their User library, but if collected / saved to a fresh project folder, this 'new' device loses the Map button / UI element altogether? It sucks because I want to be able to package my set so as to share with others, but for whatever reason as soon as the device (the UniMap mod I mentioned) is saved somewhere other than my specific User Library, yeah, I go to check the Map settings are retained and the entire button is gone and I just have an empty grey box. Strange stuff...