Ableton standard + plug-ins v Ableton Suite

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
epsilonone

Ableton standard + plug-ins v Ableton Suite

Post by epsilonone » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:37 am

Hey,

Its been a long time since I've used Ableton. I had Ableton live 8 Suite years ago

I am about to upgrade from lite 10 to either standard or suite but I'm unsure which to choose.

I'm tempted to go for standard and buy 3rd party like serum and a few other ones that are specifically good for strings, vocals and guitar.

Alternatively just go for suite and assume most of that be covered.

Knowing that suite is pretty dam good, can anyone speak on having standard + plus a handful of really good plugins, as being a better alternative, I don't want to but suite and still feel I need to improve tings or its a waste of cash

Thanks

Richie Witch

Re: Ableton standard + plug-ins v Ableton Suite

Post by Richie Witch » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:35 pm

If it's any help, this is the route I went. I bought Standard and then downloaded third-party freebies until I knew exactly what I needed and selectively purchased the plugins that really mattered to me. I eventually bought Sampler as well and I think that was a good choice for someone who has Live Standard.

Been using Live for 6 years now with no regrets about having Standard rather than Suite.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:53 am

epsilonone wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:37 am
Hey,

Its been a long time since I've used Ableton. I had Ableton live 8 Suite years ago

I am about to upgrade from lite 10 to either standard or suite but I'm unsure which to choose.

I'm tempted to go for standard and buy 3rd party like serum and a few other ones that are specifically good for strings, vocals and guitar.

Alternatively just go for suite and assume most of that be covered.

Knowing that suite is pretty dam good, can anyone speak on having standard + plus a handful of really good plugins, as being a better alternative, I don't want to but suite and still feel I need to improve tings or its a waste of cash

Thanks

Standard is definitely an option if you already have plenty of plugins.

Biggest issue would be no M4L but not necessarily a show stopper.

I started off with Standard. Main thing Suite gives you is more devices and packs and M4L, so if you have a bunch of 3rd party content, Suite might even be filler.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:14 pm

I had Suite 10 and was disappointed with the factory libraries compared to the "big name' alternatives. On the other hand, I really wanted M4L and it's only included in Suite.

M4L by itself is $199, the difference between Standard and Suite (as an upgrade from Lite) is currently $280 and Standard doesn't even include Sampler! The choice was clear :wink:

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:20 pm

Comparing Suite with ALL PLUGINS, ALL PRESETS, ALL LIBRARIES from ALL DEVS is pure intellectual dishonesty.

Obviously that Suite can't compare with all possible plugins from NI, u-hE, FabFIlter, etc. all added together...

Pick a specific list of plugins that add up to $300, then ask yourself if those really are better than Suite for you.
♥♥♥

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:46 am

this user held out : using standard version for many years v.6 thru v.9(ex. added Operator @ v.6)but went full-monty with v.10
& never looking back. Serious value when all things considered
- hardly ever use any plug instrument these days but usually include a couple third-party EFX like Valhalla, SoundToys, iZotope in my projects

peace
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile