Real Time MIDI Quantize

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
leo_music_9

Real Time MIDI Quantize

Post by leo_music_9 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:29 pm

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if someone is interested in working on a real time MIDI-QUANTIZER.

Someone has created a device like that ( https://maxforlive.com/library/device/1 ... i-quantize ) and it was downloaded 20000 times.

However, the big issue is that if you play just a milisecond late, the note will be quantized to the next step.

It would be ideal if it leaves the "late" notes as they are.
Only quantizing the early notes.

Also, this is the midi device I need it for https://www.youtube.com./watch?v=bGYe3yfNVlM

Best,
leo

jonbenderr

Re: Real Time MIDI Quantize

Post by jonbenderr » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:21 pm

The problem with doing that is you would have to predict the future and know that there is a note that's going to be late (not early) that needs left alone.

How would you differentiate between a note that is late and a note that is early?

I suppose you could set up a window of time. Say you are trying to quantize to a quarter note. If a note is triggered within the first quarter of the quarter note (1/16th note), there would be no action? Or a simple slider representing that time space? Maybe it could be done.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:08 pm

Yep. It can be done for sure.
I’ll have a look but I got much on my plate nowadays.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

leo_music_9

Post by leo_music_9 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:15 am

jonbenderr wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:21 pm
The problem with doing that is you would have to predict the future and know that there is a note that's going to be late (not early) that needs left alone.

How would you differentiate between a note that is late and a note that is early?

I suppose you could set up a window of time. Say you are trying to quantize to a quarter note. If a note is triggered within the first quarter of the quarter note (1/16th note), there would be no action? Or a simple slider representing that time space? Maybe it could be done.
You are right about it.

You would set a window range. Ideally the user can choose the %. If not, 50% is fine.

Let's say you set the quantizer to 1/16, then the first half of the range (50%) is considered "late" and the second half(50%) is consider "early" and should be quantized to the next step.

Do you think you can do it?

I would be extremelly grateful and most of the work is already done.
Last edited by leo_music_9 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

leo_music_9

Post by leo_music_9 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:17 am

chapelier fou wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:08 pm
Yep. It can be done for sure.
I’ll have a look but I got much on my plate nowadays.
Please, let me know if you need further information.

You need set a window range. Ideally the user can choose the %. If not, 50% is fine.

Let's say you set the quantizer to 1/16, then the first half of the range (50%) is considered "late" and the second half(50%) is consider "early" and should be quantized to the next step.