MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spanktron

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by spanktron » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:22 pm

dudewalkingon wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:52 pm
Alright - Ableton Live running flawlessly on an Apple M1 Air with Big Sur and using a Push 2. Putting it through its paces, but have had zero issues so far...

Plugins that work - U-He Repro-1/5, Madrona Labs Kaivo/Aalta, Bias FX 2
Plugins that don't work - Native Instruments (as a whole), iLok, Softube Modular (due to iLok, ugh)

Will update here if I run into anything, since there are so few accounts of new Apple silicon and Big Sur so far...

You mean natively or in Rosetta 2?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:35 pm

Rosetta 2, Live is not optimized for Apple Silicon yet.

NicoMAI

Post by NicoMAI » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:12 pm

@ dudewalkingon So Soundtoys suite plugins don't work as ILok doesn't work?

jpallarest

Post by jpallarest » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:48 am

OMG, Apple what have you done!. These new machines look so great, so powerful and efficient. A great advancement.

I REALLY hope Ableton is paying attention and release Live 11 already optimized natively for these new M1/Apple Silicon Macs. They are the future of great mobile platforms.

For now, Live 11 Beta is working flawlessly in my MBP 16-inch running Big Sur.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:49 am

NicoMAI wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:12 pm
@ dudewalkingon So Soundtoys suite plugins don't work as ILok doesn't work?
Strange. According to them it should work...
iLok License Manager and iLok services are all compatible with macOS Big Sur. We have texted extensively with the releases available since the developer releases came out. Our products currently work with Apple Silicon systems under Rosetta 2. Next year we plan to release a universal binary version that will run natively under Apple Silicon.

dudewalkingon

Post by dudewalkingon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:24 pm

I am on an M1 MacBook Air... So it may work with Big Sur, but it doesn't appear to load on M1 apple silicon. I was about to contemplate Soundtoys due to the sale, too... dang...

EDIT: I just read the full comment saying it SHOULD work on Apple Silicon. Let me try again. Will update.

dudewalkingon

Post by dudewalkingon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:58 pm

dudewalkingon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:24 pm
I am on an M1 MacBook Air... So it may work with Big Sur, but it doesn't appear to load on M1 apple silicon. I was about to contemplate Soundtoys due to the sale, too... dang...

EDIT: I just read the full comment saying it SHOULD work on Apple Silicon. Let me try again. Will update.

EDIT: ILOK WORKS! I now have Softube Module running. So I assume SoundToys will run, too :)

thijsc

Post by thijsc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:49 pm

I can report good news: I'm running Live 10 on my brand new MacBook Air with the M1 and it runs flawlessly in Rosetta. A project that makes my intel machine take off just runs at 30% utilisation. Laptop stays cool to the touch too. This is looking like an amazing platform even without a real port to ARM.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:39 am

Love this. Seems like Rosetta 2 is miles above what Rosetta 1 was. 8)
I've got an old as the hills 2012, and I was about to buy a laptop when Apple announced the Apple Silicon Arm etc. move.
I'm waiting for the 16", but it's great to know those of you that bought the 13" are doing just fine. Most reports from various benchmark tests put the 13" M1 MBP at the same processor speed and power as the i9 16", but with no heat, fan noise or other issues.

So now my goal is to wait the probably 4-6 months for the 16" to arrive. :x

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 pm

…same here…i hate waiting but the good thing is live 11 may be natively running on arm till then…😬
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

TLW

Post by TLW » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:12 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:39 am
Most reports from various benchmark tests put the 13" M1 MBP at the same processor speed and power as the i9 16", but with no heat, fan noise or other issues.
One concern I’ve seen raised is how well the M1 Air in particular will be able to sustain intensive operations before thermal throttling sets in. I guess it’s a matter of seeing what the early adopters report about thermal performance rather than going on figures from synthetic benchmarks which don’t always translate well to real-world usage. Real world battery usage data would be useful as well - DAWs tend to be power-hungry.

It’s pretty obvious that Apple has created a chip that’s well optimised for laptops, though it’s a pity Apple’s continued down the road of providing very few TB/USB sockets, one of which has to be used for power. Which for my purposes makes them not particularly useful without an external TB/USB hub - and audio interfaces tend to dislike being attached to hubs. Though for those who do everything “in the box” using the on-board sound chip and a MIDI controller that’s not really an issue so long as MIDI to audio latency is manageable, which I’ve found it generally already is with the sound chip in Intel Macs and the relatively recent iPads.

Interesting times, especially for Intel and AMD who are now faced with a serious new competitor.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:40 pm

thijsc wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:49 pm
I can report good news: I'm running Live 10 on my brand new MacBook Air with the M1 and it runs flawlessly in Rosetta. A project that makes my intel machine take off just runs at 30% utilisation. Laptop stays cool to the touch too. This is looking like an amazing platform even without a real port to ARM.
May i ask what model exactly your Intel one is?

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:15 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:39 am
Love this. Seems like Rosetta 2 is miles above what Rosetta 1 was. 8)
I've got an old as the hills 2012, and I was about to buy a laptop when Apple announced the Apple Silicon Arm etc. move.
I'm waiting for the 16", but it's great to know those of you that bought the 13" are doing just fine. Most reports from various benchmark tests put the 13" M1 MBP at the same processor speed and power as the i9 16", but with no heat, fan noise or other issues.

So now my goal is to wait the probably 4-6 months for the 16" to arrive. :x
In the same situation here. Macbook Pro 2012 as backup of a 2013 iMac... both made vintage by now.
Happy to see that L10 works ia Rosetta 2 and some plugins are as well. I have UHE and Valhalla as Plugins so there's hope!
Amazing future. For home use it looks like the M1 Mac Mini offers more ports, a little more juice due to active cooling system.
Makes me wanna try.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:18 pm

dudewalkingon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:58 pm
dudewalkingon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:24 pm

EDIT: ILOK WORKS! I now have Softube Module running. So I assume SoundToys will run, too :)
Great news! Thanks!
I have a question about those M1 machines : How much free space is left on the SSD? I am afraid that Universal Binary Apps could take more space than Intel ones.
So I can't decide if a 256 SDD will do or better a 512. :oops:
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

dudewalkingon

Post by dudewalkingon » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:43 pm

I have the 512gb M1. With Bitwig, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Logic, and 5-6 plugins installed, I have 440gb free. I neglected to see what was free before doing any other installs...

Still no major issues with Live and Push 2. I have had a crash when adding Madrona Labs Aalto, though other times it has worked. Live itself seems completely solid. FYI - So does Bitwig, and Logic is super fast.

Josh